All crabs down

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Irvingsmom

All crabs down

Post by Irvingsmom » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:26 pm

I just finished the crabbies new crabitat yesterday, and I’m so sad that they’re all down today. Anyone else have ungrateful hermies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xenocrab

Re: All crabs down

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:02 pm

Yes, they are all ungrateful, but we love them unconditionally. That's what makes us the best crabby parents! Oh, and they teach us patience beyond what we think we can handle! Lol!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:13 pm

I was so very excited when I finished setting up their 75g. It took months to actually complete it. When I finally transferred them over, they all ran and hid, and within the next few days everyone was gone. :lol:

I've only had about two to three up at a time since then, but I never see them unless I go into the habitat.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:44 pm

Irvingsmom wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:26 pm
I just finished the crabbies new crabitat yesterday, and I’m so sad that they’re all down today. Anyone else have ungrateful hermies? Image

Two of mine are down as far as I know right now (I haven't seen them for about a week) are down, and just added sphagnum moss to the top of the huts where they can climb until I can order a hammock to put it in(I know which one I want and everything, it's off Etsy, and while I'm on it I'm ordering a cholla wood(I didn't want it powerwashed bc I'll just boil it) and some food, from HermieGrub if I remember the name correctly, Just2OldCrabs, and Maddamay32's store, ACrabADay. My hermies up haven't touched the moss! But it has helped a ton with the humidity! My only complaint is that some of it turned white and then dry within a day of me soaking it for like, 2 hours. I'm still resisting the urge to look for my babies down like the anxious mother I am! I looked around my room and didn't see them, so been assuring myself that they're fine, and inside crabitat. My little hermie Aaron Burr had his claws in the water last night, which is good. I'm debating whether or not to bath them? I have zoomed bowls right now (I want to buy some plastic containers and rocks sometime, hopefully soon), and I haven't really seen them drink or bathe, but then again they are nocturnal…
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Irvingsmom

Post by Irvingsmom » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:46 pm

It is so hard to not dig them up! I’ve been stressing all day.
I just put some moss in as well and it’s regulating the humidity very nicely.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:54 pm

One of the joys of owning crabs! We have had crabs away at molting camp since early-mid December! One came up a week or so. Still waiting for the other six!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:26 am

I’m with you- all three of my jumbos went down right at Christmas time. We are coming up on a month now and I just. Want. Them. Back! Lol it’s killing me! I miss my Princess! And of course the other two as well, Princess is just extra special to me. You know how it is! And my crazy escapee Straw that spent 6 weeks on the loose at the previous owners house, is choosing now to molt as well. Ah!! All my most stressful molters are down currently! At least my other favorite dude (Ten) came up a couple days ago- he was down at the same time, he’s just significantly smaller!!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:37 am

I have 9 crabs and was only noticing 1 or 2 coming out at night through my camera. It went on for about a month until I took a peek under my tank and saw 5 flippin crabs all molting under there!! Shed exo and everything! I had heard crabs molt in groups but come on!! One has finished molting but just wants to party hardy in the sand I guess. And who knows what the other two are doing under there. They're just being selfish. Hopefully they come up soon so I can appreciate their hairy little bodies

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:03 am

I'm kind of glad my babies are assumed molting though, because they came from a pet store with not-so-great conditions :crabblush: . I'm glad they feel comfortable enough now to do it (I'm not sure they are, but they've been down every since I added more substrate last week) :molted:: , and hopefully I can nurse them back to health (especially my very first E{I love him so much <3}) and spoil them! :hearts:
I never knew that I'd love these little creatures so much! They just grow on you! :iconbiggrin:
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Irvingsmom

Post by Irvingsmom » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:06 am

Crabby7Crabber wrote:I'm kind of glad my babies are assumed molting though, because they came from a pet store with not-so-great conditions :crabblush: . I'm glad they feel comfortable enough now to do it (I'm not sure they are, but they've been down every since I added more substrate last week) :molted:: , and hopefully I can nurse them back to health (especially my very first E{I love him so much <3}) and spoil them! :hearts:
I never knew that I'd love these little creatures so much! They just grow on you! :iconbiggrin:
I know right! I spend just a tad too much time watching them when they’re up, and them I’m disappointed when they’re molting or just resting Image my fiancé thinks I’m a little crazy.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:33 am

Irvingsmom wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:06 am
I know right! I spend just a tad too much time watching them when they’re up, and them I’m disappointed when they’re molting or just resting Image my fiancé thinks I’m a little crazy.

Lol! I sometimes wake up at three a.m. and just watch them move around in the dark. Don't worry, I'm weird too! I'm probably not going to have a spouse because of my obsession of hermit crabs! Oh well, I won't be alone; I'll have them and my zoo that'll live in my house (and I'll have a room dedicated to my crabbies)! :D

Topic author
Irvingsmom

All crabs down

Post by Irvingsmom » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:40 pm

Update!
Silas and Bertram are still down, though I did catch a glimpse of Silas the other day so I know he’s doing alright.
Irving is an apple eating, climbing machine! Who gets up at around 9 pm LIKE CLOCKWORK. Does anyone else have clockwork crabbies?

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:44 pm

Irvingsmom wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:40 pm
Update!
Silas and Bertram are still down, though I did catch a glimpse of Silas the other day so I know he’s doing alright.
Irving is an apple eating, climbing machine! Who gets up at around 9 pm LIKE CLOCKWORK. Does anyone else have clockwork crabbies?

It's good you know one of your hermies are doing okay. I don't have any clockwork crabs myself; they just get up, eat, sleep, dig, and whatever else they want whenever they feel like it. Sometimes they'll come out of a hut in the morning looking super tired and I can just imagine them saying, "what'd I miss?"