Adoptions

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
crabby33

Adoptions

Post by crabby33 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:31 am

What are the rules with crab adoptions? I adopted my crabs out to my brother a couple of months ago right before I moved but I have no idea if he is even caring for them properly. I am not allowed to follow up to make sure they’re receiving proper care. We have likened it to when you give a baby up for adoption. They take it, and you never see it again. No one wants to listen to me preach about proper care. And we have figured out they are not great pets to have.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Adoptions

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:25 pm

That depends on what rules you’re asking about.

Follow-ups are between the adopter and adoptee and we have no control over their cooperation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:36 pm

I adopted them out to a family member and I am being told no follow ups.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:38 pm

That’s between you and your family. Sorry, but there are no “rules” guiding adoption etiquette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:50 pm

Crabby33, I believe it is dependant on the adopter and what they want to do. Once we adopt crabs from someone we will usually send a few pictures after we get them settled in their new homes and that's about it.

We did adopt two crabs from a lady we met at a pet store a few years ago. We adopted hers in the fall. She actually sent xenocrab gift cards for crabby support! She sends her pictures of those crabs every month or two.

I have been debating sending pictures to a lady we adopted 3 HUGE hermits we got outside of DC last year. She took really good care of them and had to give them up because of changes in her life. It has been a while since we sent her pictures. I have been debating on if I should send her pictures or not.

I guess it can go either way. As the person that surrendered the crabs you have to respect what decision their new owners request. I don't think it would hurt to send a message once. If they don't respond or request to not be contacted I wouldn't contact them anymore. It could get pretty ugly if you do keep questioning them or sending messages.

EDIT: I just saw your responses as I was typing this. Sorry but you need to request their decision to not be contacted.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:12 pm

I gave them to my brother and my mom has told me he doesn’t want to talk about the crabs. The last update I got was that he’s figured out how to take care of them, they don’t go through a lot of water, one walks around while the other one just sits in the corner. He’d spent hours researching their care before adopting them from me.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:55 pm

As stated, unfortunately you will have to respect his wishes.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers