Croaking/Humming Noise?!

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Croaking/Humming Noise?!

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:47 pm

Hey guys. A few minutes ago I was checking up on my crabs for the night when I heard this weird noise. It wasn't a chirp-- more like the sputter of a vehicle, a frog croaking, and a low hum. I squinted to see my two tiniest PPs tussling, Aaron Burr on the bottom and Jubali on the top. I was surprised because I thought Aaron Burr had gone down for a molt, and I think the last time I saw him was two, maybe three weeks ago? I watched them for a few moments, and Jubali seemed to grab for Aaron Burr's big claw with his, and the humming noise got even louder. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I pulled Jubali off and picked up Aaron Burr. Sure enough, he was making the sound, but stopped when I pulled Jubali off him. Do you think this was his version of chriping? I'm just wondering-- how? It's quiet right now, so I'm hoping they were just fooling around. But should I have dipped Aaron Burr in water, just in case he did molt somehow? He seemed to have the exact same color as I had last seen him. And I'm beginning to worry a little because if he hadn't molted, why had I not seen him the past few weeks? It's possible he found my bigger PP, Hoodini, who went down after Jubali and I assume is molting, and ate him? Could Aaron Burr have that "intoxicating" smell that had triggered Jubali from eating Hoodini, or molting himself? My E also seems a little sluggish, and I'm not sure why. All day, he's been laying on top of some shells that I was hoping he'd upgrade into. My temp right now is 76, and humidity is 80, as it is on average. I can't use saran wrap and already have two heats on the side and back of the tank. I keep a fluffy blanket on the mesh lid too that seems to help keep the humidity and temperature up (I can't get a glass one). I'm just kind of stressed out, as I'm sure a lot of people are. If you guys could tell me what you think is going on, and some tips to keep the heat and humidty up, that be great! Thank you!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Re: Croaking/Humming Noise?!

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:49 pm

Also, I didn't really know if the E problem counted as an emergancy or not. I'm just worried about my crabbies and want them all to be happy, as I know many of us do with our pets.
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:30 pm

Why can't you use plastic/ Saran wrap over the mesh?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 am

curlysister wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:30 pm
Why can't you use plastic/ Saran wrap over the mesh?
My parents think it's ridiculous that I do this much for the hermits (when they saw how much EE and Playsand I was mixing around a month ago to get the 6 inches I needed they looked at me like I had three heads). I suppose I could try asking again, explaining more in depth the situation? There hasn't been any problems this morning, so that's good. The only thing is that I don't think George moved. :( On a brighter note though, Aaron Burr hung on a bridge all night :lol: