Using a bright light for seeing

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Using a bright light for seeing

Post by avocadocrabbies » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:11 pm

No, not a heating lamp. I have a 50gal and currently two crabs in it, so sometimes it takes a long search to find where they are. Right now, they're both buried (not sure if they're molting or just fooling around, it's only been three days) but I like to check on them once a day. They 50gal is positioned on top of a glass and metal stand that's about two feet off the ground, and my crabs are right at the bottom of the glass- so if I roll onto my back and scooch under, I can see their little air pockets and watch them scratch around :)

I usually check on them at night, and my room doesn't have great lighting. So I have this flashlight (not super bright, but enough to illuminate the whole bottom of the tank) that I use, and I try not to shine it directly at their air pockets, but I'm worried the bright light might be unhealthy or a stress factor for them. Should I stop using it?

edit: looks like they're molting (went down on the same day!). Out of curiosity, how long does it usually take for 2 year old PPs to molt? It's their first molts with me :)
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Crabby7Crabber

Re: Using a bright light for seeing

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:22 pm

When I'm checking on my tank, I sent my kindle screen light on low and just illuminate the tank with that :lol: But how big is your crab? It depends on the size. My little PP is about quarter size and he took about a month to molt, if that helps :)
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:32 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:22 pm
When I'm checking on my tank, I sent my kindle screen light on low and just illuminate the tank with that :lol: But how big is your crab? It depends on the size. My little PP is about quarter size and he took about a month to molt, if that helps :)
ah, I'll do that. Thanks! And also, my PPs are about quarter size nd two quarters. Thanks for the comparison!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:55 pm

I personally doubt that your flashlight would bother them too much. You’re just doing a quick lookover, not turning night into day for an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:48 am

JoeHermits wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:55 pm
I personally doubt that your flashlight would bother them too much. You’re just doing a quick lookover, not turning night into day for an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
okay, thanks! I think I might use my phone screen with the brightness dimmed down.