Changing substrate

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Carissaraeee

Changing substrate

Post by Carissaraeee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:09 am

Hello my fellow crabbers! Quick question, when changing my substrate, I got the Eco Earth compressed coconut fiber. So you have to add water when changing the substrate for it expand. So my question is, can I use tap water for that? Or do I need to stick with bottled water? The last substrate I got, I didn’t have to add water like I do for this. Thanks in advance!

Also, I hope I posted this to the right forum. My last post was moved to another forum, so I must’ve added it to the wrong place. I am new to the app, I’m used to using the website, and the website never gave me any of this options so sorry if it’s in the wrong place

Carissa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Carissaraeee

Re: Changing substrate

Post by Carissaraeee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:25 am

Lol! Replying to my own post here, But I was doing some research while I was waiting for somebody to reply, and I came across an older post where people were advising that the OP used salt water to moisten the substrate. So, should I use my Instant Ocean salt water mix to expand my hermie’s substrate?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:28 am

Hello! Yes, you want to use dechlorinated marine saltwater or dechlorinated freshwater to make it sandcastle consistency :)

Edit: BTW - it isn't necessary to change out your substrate unless you are having a bacteria bloom or flooding. I also wanted to let you know that I know how difficult Tapatalk can be to navigate around. This subject could go under crabitat conditions, or miscellaneous. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Carissaraeee

Post by Carissaraeee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:30 am

GotButterflies wrote:Hello! Yes, you want to use dechlorinated marine saltwater or dechlorinated freshwater to make it sandcastle consistency :)
Thank you!! So I use a little of both salt and bottled water?

Topic author
Carissaraeee

Post by Carissaraeee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:31 am

Carissaraeee wrote: Thank you!! So I use a little of both salt and bottled water?

I read your comment wrong, you said “or” not “and” so Ignore my question lol thank you so much for the response!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:32 am

BTW - I edited my post so check that out.

It isn't necessary to use bottled water. You can use tap. Just use a dechlorinator. A lot of us use a product called Prime. You need a dechlorinator that removes chlorine, and chloramine as well as neutralizes ammonia and heavy metals. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:33 am

I personally use MSW. To each's own though! :)

Topic author
Carissaraeee

Post by Carissaraeee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:33 am

GotButterflies wrote:Hello! Yes, you want to use dechlorinated marine saltwater or dechlorinated freshwater to make it sandcastle consistency :)

Edit: BTW - it isn't necessary to change out your substrate unless you are having a bacteria bloom or flooding. I also wanted to let you know that I know how difficult Tapatalk can be to navigate around. This subject could go under crabitat conditions, or miscellaneous. :)
Awesome! And yes, when I was trying to find a topic, I kept scrolling and scrolling, and saw this one. Sorry LOL! And yes, it’s been a while since I changed my substrate, I usually just spray it and mix it around a little bit. But a couple of them must have grabbed some food out of their dish and went down under the substrate with it because there was mold starting to grow, I didn’t notice it at first, but when I did, that’s when I decided to change it.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:34 am

:) We are here for you if you need us!

Topic author
Carissaraeee

Post by Carissaraeee » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:34 am

GotButterflies wrote:BTW - I edited my post so check that out.

It isn't necessary to use bottled water. You can use tap. Just use a dechlorinator. A lot of us use a product called Prime. You need a dechlorinator that removes chlorine, and chloramine as well as neutralizes ammonia and heavy metals. :)
Yes! I saw the edit,... AFTER I sent my reply ImageImage silly me! Haha thank you! I’ll look into Prime. I usually just buy a big thing of bottled water, and use that. But I will definitely look into prime because it sounds like it might save me some money LOL

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:35 am

Prime will last you a long time, and save you a lot of money! :)