tank decor for jumbos

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
crabs_lex

tank decor for jumbos

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:52 am

i have 20 crabs and their sizes range from tiny to jumbo (they get along great) but as the jumbos grew up and switched shells i have a hard time finding hideouts for them to fit in and i feel bad because they are always trying to squeeze into the ones they used to love.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: tank decor for jumbos

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:20 pm

I made my own. It's not pretty, but it's functional LOL.
I took a taller rectangular storage container, cut a door in it, and glued some shells on the sides so they could climb. I could never get my shower caddy to suction onto the corner, so I glued that on the top so they had a bit of a 'railing' for when they go up there. I will try to go on Tapatalk later to post a photo.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:23 pm

sounds cool i’ll definitely look into making my own!!
how many crabs do u have? and what size tank? just curious:)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:55 pm

I have two crabs, in a 55 gallon tank. I thought they were only medium and large, but recently measured them and they're jumbos, LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:58 pm

awh! i just recently got more crabs and upgraded my tank
so now i’m getting lots of more decorations and things for them to climb
i absolutely love shopping for crabs :)

GAherme

Post by GAherme » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:47 am

I got a lizard hammock made from that sea grass/jute looking fiber material about 6 mo ago. The suction cups are worthless so I hung it from the top of my enclosure with hemp string. You can make a “swing” or a climbing wall. I also recently added a large protein powder jar as a hide out. I put it on its side and put some substrate in it. I still need to decorate it somehow, but she likes it. I do need suggestions on making a second tier in my tank, it’s quite tall, and this would give more exploration room.

GAherme

Post by GAherme » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:47 am

I got a lizard hammock made from that sea grass/jute looking fiber material about 6 mo ago. The suction cups are worthless so I hung it from the top of my enclosure with hemp string. You can make a “swing” or a climbing wall. I also recently added a large protein powder jar as a hide out. I put it on its side and put some substrate in it. I still need to decorate it somehow, but she likes it. I do need suggestions on making a second tier in my tank, it’s quite tall, and this would give more exploration room.

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:39 am

sounds wonderful!