Liquid Quartz Sealant + Tangential Aquarium Question

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
doth

Liquid Quartz Sealant + Tangential Aquarium Question

Post by doth » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:52 pm

Has anyone here tried liquid quartz on stone or ceramic items in the crabitat?

This is the product:
https://madeofaustralia.com/liquid-quartz/

It's a sealant made of silica that's used on ceramics to make porous ware water resistant/food safe. looks like it'd be safe as there's not much to it. might look into using it to seal the unglazed bottoms of my crabs' food dishes/hides eventually. it's only in Australia & I'm in the USA so I realistically wouldn't be trying to order this until after the pandemic anyway, but was curious if anyone had any experience with it!

I make ceramics & a good portion of my work winds up in either aquariums or my own crabitat. I haven't had any mold issues with my pieces but I've only been making for a couple years now so who knows how things will stand the test of time! even high fire stoneware like I use is still slightly porous.

I know a lot of folks on here have aquariums as well as crabitats- have you had experience with ceramic tank decor growing mold or bacteria over time? Would love to hear people's thoughts!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Liquid Quartz Sealant + Tangential Aquarium Question

Post by wodesorel » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:13 am

I prefer ceramic for aquariums and have never had an issue there. I have had unsealed bottoms mold in moist enclosures though.

I'm sure you realize this, but pottery for animals has to be under the same rules as food-grade pieces for humans. Heavy metals is another serious risk, especially since they can stick around in a kiln and deposit on pieces fired later. What is a safe amount for humans could stilll be dangerous to the crabs!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
doth

Re: Liquid Quartz Sealant + Tangential Aquarium Question

Post by doth » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:37 am

wodesorel wrote:I prefer ceramic for aquariums and have never had an issue there. I have had unsealed bottoms mold in moist enclosures though.

I'm sure you realize this, but pottery for animals has to be under the same rules as food-grade pieces for humans. Heavy metals is another serious risk, especially since they can stick around in a kiln and deposit on pieces fired later. What is a safe amount for humans could stilll be dangerous to the crabs!
yesss! and in some ways unglazed is safer bc if the glaze doesn't fit perfectly the glaze could have fine cracks that could theoretically harbor bacterial growth.

I suppose even if mold forms, we crabbers are well versed in taking care of that!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk