How long can hermit crabs go without saltwater?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Fangs19

How long can hermit crabs go without saltwater?

Post by Fangs19 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:09 pm

Okay so to cut to the chase
I recently ran out of salt water and I’m panicking about it cause I recently ordered some more and it won’t come until next week and I’m not sure how long purple pinchers can go without saltwater I has fresh water in the meantime but I’m not sure if that’ll do for now

CrabbyLover77

Re: How long can hermit crabs go without saltwater?

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:44 pm

Hi!

I believe Wodes on here went a very long time without having salt water available (please correct me if I'm wrong Wodes!). So a week shouldn't hurt.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:30 am

Yeah, I think it was Wode! I have also 'forgotten' to fill up the salt water bowl for a few weeks at a time, LOL. Your crabs will be just fine!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:54 am

It's been a few years since I've bothered with saltwater for mine, honestly. It can be very beneficial in some cases but it's not a necessity for all species. Purple pinchers have been documented living for 25 years without, so for them at least its not a worry. (Although new crabs who are adapting to captivity seem to do much better when supplied with it!) Other species like straws seem to die quickly without access.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

crabocado

Post by crabocado » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:08 pm

My crab went several (I'm guessing around 5) years without salt water. It was only after the other others died, and I found this forum and became aware of all the things that they need to thrive, that I started making big improvements in her care. When I first introduced a dish of salt water, she sat on the edge and drank from it for a very long time (an hour or two, if memory serves). So, I think they can definitely do without, for somewhat long periods, but eventually they may develop a desperate craving for it.

hermitsinnc

Post by hermitsinnc » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:24 pm

This is very helpful, thank you!

Recently, I discovered a piece of rotting moss in one of my water dishes. It was so stinky, I put the dish outside to de-odorize, so mine have had only fresh for about a week.
3 PPs: Maxwell (small), Mitchelle (medium/small), Kendall (medium/large)
also have 10gal freshwater fishtank w/ neon tetras, pygmy cories, and nerite snails

"I am here, I am loved, God is good, and that's enough." --Brandon Heath