Sunshine the Mangled [4/23 Back in main tat, w/ bad photo]

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Sunshine the Mangled [4/23 Back in main tat, w/ bad photo]

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:40 pm

I found a shell on the substrate today and a hole going underground, and my gut told me to dig, so I dug. I found one of the crabs freshly molted (still pink and soft) naked, with only a half of one leg and her little pincher partially eaten. :cry:

I managed to get her wedged into a shell and took her upstairs where it's warm and moist. When I checked on her a few hours later she had managed to get the shell on properly and had withdrew inside. She really looks so much like Kathy's Robbie. I don't know if she's going to pull through or not. :( I'm pretty sure that it's Sunshine, but I can't be certain.

I also found three other shells around where she was, buried and completely empty. No sign of a crab or of any exo. :( I went through all the substrate as I was worried, and counted all of them and the crabs above ground, and I'm three crabs shy. Someone went on a PP bender. :cry: I am so upset about this! I have no idea who is responsible, and I'm not even sure which crabs were killed.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Gab33

Re: Three eaten, one left mangled in the PP tank. :(

Post by Gab33 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Oh gosh I'm so sorry! :( I had that happen to my Snappy, he wasn't resurfacing and then someone came up with his shell... :(

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:05 pm

So sorry! I can't imagine finding that. I hope you can figure out who caused the problem.
Owner of 4 PPs

zippity

Post by zippity » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Oh no, I'm so sorry! :( I hope you find the culprit! :(

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 pm

She is still alive, and I think she's trying to eat her exo! :) I'm just not sure what the best way is to help her.... I put a tiny pile of sand in the container so I could wedge her shell as if she was sitting normally. I know she's moved the exo around a bit (not sure how??).

I think I'll coat a q-tip with some peanut butter and leave that handy for her tonight. I know her eating the exo is important, but I'm also worried about her going into shock from the loss of limbs. She's jumpy around me and slides into the shell whenever I come in, so at least her rear legs are still intact!

Jelly Donutz

Post by Jelly Donutz » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:02 pm

:D Yay! at least you know she will most likely pull through! I hope she gets better!

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:33 am

wow, that must have been hard to find! I'm glad the survivor is hanging in there! keep is updated, please!
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)

Hermitcrablover12

Post by Hermitcrablover12 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:18 am

That's terrible. :( I hope your crab gets well soon! Do you know why they did that?

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:58 pm

She's still kickin'! She's fussing a lot - I keep finding her shell spun around and/or toppled over. Can't figure out what she's trying to do. She's also kicking around her exo like she doesn't want it? I just gave her some peanut butter (the kind with honey in it) on a q-tip and I'll check on her in a bit to see how she's doing. :)

I really don't know who or why they did it. :( I know that Giggles has been responsible for digging up molters in the past but I never knew him to eat anyone. I've had very bad luck with crabs that molted on that side of the tank being disturbed before, so I'm just going to watch closely and go digging whenever I see new holes forming. If molting crabs dig in under the water dishes or farther to the left they aren't bothered, but this is the fourth or fifth time I've had molters disturbed or injured when they dug in on the right side. I was hoping that letting them be was safer, but it's not! I've got a 20 high that will be set up as a molt ISO today, and I'm just going to have to keep after them.

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:12 pm

have the crabs been eating the protien that is offered? maybe there's a fussy one that refuses to eat it? I donno :( I know you've had more experience than me. :shock:

I'm so happy the molter is doing good despite making her shell go in weird directions :) keep doing what you're doing! sounds good!
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:52 pm

She's getting stronger and seems to be doing well. I placed her in some shallow water so she could drink, and gave her some more food to eat. (Chicken baby food and more peanut butter.)

I don't know if she can use her pincher for pinching, but for now she's using it creatively as a brace so she can sit up easily. She is not able to eat with it though.

She is eating very well though! You can see those two little straws sticking straight down from her mouth - she's using those to eat, and I think she may also be using them to steady herself and position herself as well.

And she's finally calming down and coming out around me. I think the water did it - I think she may be realizing that I mean food and drink. :)

zippity

Re: 3 eaten, one left mangled in the PP tank. :( (Photos)

Post by zippity » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:08 pm

She's so pretty! :love:: It's great to know she's eating and doing well.

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:27 pm

aww, she looks like such a sweetie! I didn't know she lost some of her legs, she's such a fighter! Thanks for the update photos!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Gab33

Post by Gab33 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:50 pm

What a sweetie. :smt001

I so hope she pulls through, she's adorable :love5:

Glad to hear that she's eating. :happy10:

Keep us updated on her. :happy9:

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:56 pm

She's sweet. I sure hope she pulls through for you. It's good that she is starting to trust you and not just pull into the shell. That will make it easier for you to help her.
Owner of 4 PPs