Lowering Crabitat Temperature

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Rose_v73

Lowering Crabitat Temperature

Post by Rose_v73 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:19 am

I need some more help. my crabitat still will not drop below 75°. I finally managed to get the humidity under control with a bowl of water and a air pump. However the temperature still will not go low. I did buy a second air pump to try to circulate the air but it is not working. I also have a small computer fan a friend recommended me to use however when I turn that on the humidity decreases drastically. I cannot seem to get the temperature under control. I have a 45 gallon tank one side stays at about 80 degrees while the other is at 90. I live in Arizona and as the weather gets hotter I'm afraid it will go up. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. the tank is in the living room which unfortunately does have a big window. the tank is on the other side of the room but still gets a lot of Sun and it is the only place I can have this tank so I hope I can get this under control. Thank you in advance

KellyCrabbieLove

Re: Lowering Crabitat Temperature

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:18 am

Higher humidity lowers heat. :)
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:42 am

No, actually, living in a humid state, I can assure you that high humidity RAISES heat!
How about aiming a full size fan at the outside of the tat? Also, I imagine on of the Aussie members can help.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:05 am

Are you asking about lowering temp for now or for as it gets hotter? Do you use air conditioning in hotter months? I'm a little confused about what you're trying to do. :oops: You do not want your tank to drop below 75F or if you were meaning 75% humidity - higher humidity isn't harmful. What is your humidity?

If one side of your tank is 80F and the other 90F, you're fine. 90F is ok and is enjoyed by a lot of the crabbies, as long as there's cooler areas within the tank, like it sounds like you have. I do recommend you find another spot for the tank or at least get some shades that will block sunlight in that window, as your temps could be swinging way up at times and it can be difficult to monitor.

Chapskis1

Post by Chapskis1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:35 pm

One thing you didn't mention is if you are using a heat source or not for the tank? If you are, then a thermostat or rheostat would probably help.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:00 pm

90-95 is okay for summer months (it's where my tanks sit for three solid months) but warmer than that will cause problems. Do you keep your home climate controlled? Whatever you can handle safely, they can handle also. Make sure the tank isn't receiving any direct sunlight through the window - that will create a greenhouse effect and cook them!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Rose_v73

Post by Rose_v73 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:56 pm

Hermiluv1 – ill try the fan outside of the crab tat and see how well that works thanks - - Aussie Members ??

CallaLily - -I am asking for both now and when summer comes, our house stays between 75-77 degrees even during summer months with air conditioning. One side of the tank likes to stay between 75-85 degrees temperature not humidity. The other side is what I am having trouble with that side stays between 85-95 degrees temperature not humidity. I cannot attach a photo at the moment but to give you an idea the side that stays lower 75-85 has a few plants and moss there. The other side 85-95 has only sand and some rocks and their water dishes. Would putting a sheet or towel around or over it during the day help do you think to keep the sun out?

Chapskis1 – no I unplugged my heater (small heater) to try to help with the high temperature. No heat except the air conditioning and sunlight.

Wodesorel – yes climate controlled (well air conditioned anyways) it sounds like my only choice will be moving the tank. As I live with mom and we have really no where else for it ill try other recommendations if possible then move if I can’t fix this. Good to know thanks.

What is the highest temperature and humidity levels can get without hurting them? I read it should stay between 75 and 85 for the temp and 75-90 for humidity. Still looking for an alternative to block the sunlight without moving the tank though.

Thanks everyone for all your help

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri May 01, 2015 12:44 am

What are you using for a lid? When you used the fan, how was it set up? Have you tried getting a fogger or humidifier to help with moisture levels?

75-95 is safe temperature wise for Purple Pinchers. Exotics 80-95. There should be cooler areas where they can retreat to if it gets above 85.

Relative humidity over 70%, no upper limit. Higher amounts can sometimes cause mold growth.

Topic author
Rose_v73

Post by Rose_v73 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:08 am

currently i am using plexi glass as the lid with the corners cutout to make air get in there. the humidifier no i have not tried that. the fan i just put ofer one of the plexi glass holes but within10 minutes the humidity is down to 40-50% and i turn it off.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri May 01, 2015 1:26 am

The air in your home is going to be much much dryer than in your tank, so by pushing air from outside into the inside it's going to drop the humidity levels dramatically. Try setting up the fan so it moves the air around inside the tank - the breeze will help cool things and without drawing in outside air the humidity shouldn't crash as badly, though it will probably drop a bit. Kuza has a great tutorial in how to make it crab safe: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 39&t=92165

Ideally if you can get a humidifier to stabilize the humidity and then open the top of the tank (screening or drilling holes so they don't get out) it'll prevent the heat from building up at all.

Don't cover the tank over the top, it'll only make it hotter - but circling it should help, as would shading it in some way or using something reflective in front of it. Light blocking curtains, or a folding room screen, etc.

Many Australian members have the same joys of living in a desert with seriously low humidity and ridiculously high heat. Are you on Facebook, by any chance? We have several active members on the HCA Group Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HermitCrabAssociation/

Topic author
Rose_v73

Post by Rose_v73 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:51 am

Yes I am on Facebook I just joined the group. I will try what you are suggesting it may take a few days but I will try it. Thanks again.

Topic author
Rose_v73

Post by Rose_v73 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:52 am

I have a few that keep themselves buried under the sand. Why is that? Is it cooler under there?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri May 01, 2015 7:14 am

Rose_v73 wrote:CallaLily - -I am asking for both now and when summer comes, our house stays between 75-77 degrees even during summer months with air conditioning. One side of the tank likes to stay between 75-85 degrees temperature not humidity. The other side is what I am having trouble with that side stays between 85-95 degrees temperature not humidity. I cannot attach a photo at the moment but to give you an idea the side that stays lower 75-85 has a few plants and moss there. The other side 85-95 has only sand and some rocks and their water dishes. Would putting a sheet or towel around or over it during the day help do you think to keep the sun out?

Thank you for taking the time to explain to me. I was thrown off when you said you couldn't get your tank to drop below 75.

Hermit crabs do dig sometimes if the surface is too hot or too cool or too dry. They also dig to molt, destress, or sometimes just for fun.