Tips on keeping Humidity up

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:28 pm

I'm trying everything I can to get my humidity to rise, but it always seems to fall under 70.

I have a homemade humidifier and a new moss pit in my tank. The glass lid I had on my tank broke so a friend made a new lid out of plywood. Before I put the humidifier and moss, my hygrometer read a steady 65. With those new additions, it bumped it up to 75 for a day or so then dropped back into the 67-70 range.

I keep the moss damp and mist the tank once in the morning and once around 5:00 to give it a boost to about 75 for a few hours before it starts to fall again.

I use a combination of EE and Natural Sand at about 50/50 ratio and it dries out quickly.

It's probably my heat source drying the air. Right now I am using 2 lamps with low wattage bulbs since my UTH went out unexpectedly last week.

Humidity has always been a battle in this tank...

soilentgringa

Re: Tips on keeping Humidity up

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:34 pm

The heat lamps are probably contributing to the loss of humidity, yes.

Have you calibrated your gauges?

If the plywood isn't sealed, it will absorb moisture as well.

Humidity needs to be, ideally, in the mid 80's. Anything less than 70-75% for a short period of time puts them at risk for gill damage.

Was your substrate moistened to sandcastle consistency when the tank was set up? How deep is it?

Have you considered running airlines with stones from a pump into your pools? (Also known as bubblers around here)

Would you mind filling out the emergency template questions so we can help troubleshoot?

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=46102

How to calibrate a hygrometer:

ImageImage

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:37 pm

As @soilentgringa mentioned, do you have bubblers in the pools? It's a quick and relatively inexpensive fix (about $20) to help boost humidity and most crabs really enjoy the moving water. All you need is a small aquarium airpump (like this one from Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture- ... p/44662572), tubing, airstones and a "T" splitter.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:04 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

50/50 Sand/EE it is 6-7" deep.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Yes. Temperatures range from 75-82. For the past 2 days, humidity is sitting around 65-70.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

Yes. 2 lamps with low wattage bulbs during the day. 1 lamp with moon-glow bulb at night.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Large Fresh water pool, small salt water bowl.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Replaced daily every other day. Shrimp Tails, Bananas, Eggs/Eggshells, Local Organic Honey, Peanut Butter, Carrots, too many others to name.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

All PP from what I can tell.
1 medium since July 2015, 2 Medium Large since July 2016.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

Medium (2015) molted 2 weeks after arrival, none since. 1 medium large has been down for 5 days. Other medium large hasn't.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

Glass Hexagon Aquarium (pretty sure it's a 30g, unsure though)

Has a plywood lid with holes for airflow and lamps.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

3 - 1 Medium, 2 Medium Large

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

5 extra shells, more on the way.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

Did a deep clean in June, before new crab adoption, when I got the new lid. Cleaned out the substrate, washed out with water and dried, new substrate placed.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

No, not used.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

2nd Level Moss pit, 6 days ago.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

No.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Humidity is dropping below 70! Help!

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Crabinski wrote:As @soilentgringa mentioned, do you have bubblers in the pools? It's a quick and relatively inexpensive fix (about $20) to help boost humidity and most crabs really enjoy the moving water. All you need is a small aquarium airpump (like this one from Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture- ... p/44662572), tubing, airstones and a "T" splitter.
I have an air stone on the way from Amazon and have an old small aquarium pump I'm going to use in the freshwater pool. That's basically what my homemade humidifier is, but was going to add the bubbler for more help.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:16 pm

The lid does not need any holes in it at all. This will help get the humidity back up.

What brand of dechlorinator and salt are you using?

Remember that both dishes need to be deep enough for the crabs to submerge in.

Everything else sounds alright.

It's not necessary to remove substrate unless you have a flood or bacterial bloom.

You may consider ditching the lamps and adding an Ultratherm to one side of your tank. Insulated, this will boost heat enormously and allow your humidity to rise.

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:34 pm

The dechlorinator is API and salt is Instant Ocean both from PetCo. I'm working on getting the UTH for the side of the tank (I'm actually in the process of saving for a 40g Breeder when our PetCo has their $/g sale again. It just ended last week. Once I get that, I hope to get a screen lid and a plexi slider to adjust.) My wife just had a major surgery, so I'm looking fixes on a budget. The air stone I ordered was $1.50 and I had the old pump to make a bubbler, but I can't really put much more money into it. Probably going to Saran Wrap the lid today to see if that helps

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:35 pm

I have the hygrometer calibrating right now. I will check it tomorrow afternoon.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:37 pm

I completely understand. I hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

I'm a single parent and my son has special needs so I totally crab on a budget.

Dollar tree and donations with adoptions have carried us through for a while. I am grateful that I've never had to pay an adoption fee and that owners have been so generous with giving me supplies.

The ones that were unopened but unusable were exchanged for items like Prime, IO, etc. from Petco.

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:58 pm

My homemade humidifier originally cost $4 to make, but Jumped to $14 when I bought a "quiet" pump.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:36 pm

MrTeacherDude wrote:My homemade humidifier originally cost $4 to make, but Jumped to $14 when I bought a "quiet" pump.
Hmmm... We have been given a large topper (pending pick up) and I've been wondering how to maintain humidity in it. It is quite tall and has a door. Considering a DIY fogger.

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:40 pm

This is my current set up for my humidifier. When my larger air stone comes in, it will go in that humidifier and the old pump and stones will be used in the freshwater pool to generate some more humidity...

Just saw where someone used an old mist humidifier and rigged it up. The only problem with that for crabs is most of those are "cool mist" humidifiers which would drop the temp I would think.

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:37 pm

https://youtu.be/pp2XieaYmJ8

Think this would work? I have an old one from when my daughter was young. Could dig it out and hook a hose up to it. Put it on a timer and keep it low so it doesn't flood my substrate...

Cortnilin

Post by Cortnilin » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:45 am

It works.....I made one from a Walgreens cool mist humidifier that is very similar in style. It works well, however, I used the tubing off of an aquarium syphon instead of pvc for mine. I just attached it to the humidifier spout using aquarium silicone. I didn't like how many water droplets it was putting in my tank and since my humidity is doing well I haven't used it lately. But at least I have it as a backup. I have a tall tank that stands 2 foot tall and my humidity is good just by using bubble pools...but I also have about 8 1/2 in of sub in the highest part of the tank and I think that helps too...

Sent hastily from my iPhone....

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Oh yeah, that looks simple enough to do. Many use that humidifier that is almost cone shaped at the tip; hoses fit well on the end.

Thanks for the ideas.