Tips on keeping Humidity up

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Re: Tips on keeping Humidity up

Post by MrTeacherDude » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:08 pm

Just finished setting it up about 10 minutes ago. Probably let it run 5-10 minutes every 2-3 hours. It's only up about halfway. I had the pink humidifier on hand and the couplings and hosing at Lowe's was right at $5. Didn't have any aquarium sealant, so I used hot glue. It may have to be replaced soon, but oh well.

It doesn't seem to be affecting temps like I thought it was. My temp is staying a steady 80°. Actually it gives it a cool effect. Image from me, but we will see if it really works when my hygrometer is finished calibrating this afternoon...

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:07 pm

So my hygrometer was at a solid 55 after 24 hours of calibration...guess I'll just add 20 to what I see in the tank.

Funny thing is, after all this, a friend is giving me his 75G since he is upgrading to a 90...after all this...

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:17 pm

MrTeacherDude wrote:So my hygrometer was at a solid 55 after 24 hours of calibration...guess I'll just add 20 to what I see in the tank.

Funny thing is, after all this, a friend is giving me his 75G since he is upgrading to a 90...after all this...
Is your hygrometer digital or analog? Analog are notorious for being inaccurate.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:03 pm

This cheap circular PetCo one. Image

I have the fogger running AND a bubbler in my freshwater pool and it stays between 55 & 60...

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:58 am

I have that one too, I'm calibrating it now, I've noticed it seems a little low. I wasn't sure, because I have a moss pit and bubblers in both pools. So, hence calibration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:21 am

They really don't work worth a flip. You can get an Acurite digital gauge at Walmart for less than $10.

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:25 am

I should when I get some money. This one is reading at 50 after sitting overnight with the damp salt.

Just to clarify, the salt is supposed to be almost wet, but not dissolved, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:25 am

I just do like 3-4 drops on a capful of salt, so yes damp.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:35 am

soilentgringa wrote:The lid does not need any holes in it at all. This will help get the humidity back up.

But how would they breathe?
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:49 am

My issue is keeping humidity down mine goes up really fast i switched back to a mesh lid with plastic to regulate it no idea how it's going to be in the winter but I'm having a hard time keeping my humidity at a steady 80

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:33 pm

bbcraft22 wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:The lid does not need any holes in it at all. This will help get the humidity back up.

But how would they breathe?
They breathe through modified gills. They do not breathe air like we or most land animals do.

This is why they need high humidity, so that the air remains moist enough for them to be able to breathe.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:36 pm

isadoraisacat wrote:My issue is keeping humidity down mine goes up really fast i switched back to a mesh lid with plastic to regulate it no idea how it's going to be in the winter but I'm having a hard time keeping my humidity at a steady 80

You do not have to keep your humidity at 80.

I am not sure if I am just not explaining this properly or what, but your humidity can be between 80 and 99% and be just fine. Mid 80's is honestly preferable to the bare minimum.

The only thing you need to be concerned about with constant high humidity (over 90), is the possibility of your substrate becoming too moist.

All you have to do to combat this is crack the lid for a few minutes a day to let the humidity drop.

If you are worried that a crab might escape, stand there and watch the tank for a couple of minutes while the lid is open, then close the lid.

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:40 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
isadoraisacat wrote:My issue is keeping humidity down mine goes up really fast i switched back to a mesh lid with plastic to regulate it no idea how it's going to be in the winter but I'm having a hard time keeping my humidity at a steady 80

You do not have to keep your humidity at 80.

I am not sure if I am just not explaining this properly or what, but your humidity can be between 80 and 99% and be just fine. Mid 80's is honestly preferable to the bare minimum.

The only thing you need to be concerned about with constant high humidity (over 90), is the possibility of your substrate becoming too moist.

All you have to do to combat this is crack the lid for a few minutes a day to let the humidity drop.

If you are worried that a crab might escape, stand there and watch the tank for a couple of minutes while the lid is open, then close the lid.

Gotcha ok because i thought i read when the humidity is too high it can cause breathing problems as well. Maybe i read that incorrectly

MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Why would high humidity be harmful since they are tropical creatures? If that's the case I'm in trouble! My climate here is high humidity! Like 90% or more sometimes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:33 pm

MadiCrab wrote:Why would high humidity be harmful since they are tropical creatures? If that's the case I'm in trouble! My climate here is high humidity! Like 90% or more sometimes ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
i have no idea i thought i read that humidity above 85 in the 90s and so forth for extended periods
can also be harmful and that 85 is more ideal (and this is not talking about mold growth but harmful
to the crabs) is this true? i have no idea just asking because i did read this some where.