saltwater for humidity?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
bbcraft22

saltwater for humidity?

Post by bbcraft22 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:39 pm

I have a question concerning humidity. Do I use fresh water, or salt water? I currently use fresh water.
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

isadoraisacat

Re: saltwater for humidity?

Post by isadoraisacat » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:03 pm

You mean to mist ? Only mist with fresh declorinated water don't mist with Marine salt water if that's what your asking

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:02 am

Only FW for misting as constant applications of SW can cause a build-up of salt on the substrate/in the moss pit that can eventually be harmful to the crabs.

If you're having problems keeping the humidity up, adding bubblers to the pools will really provide a big boost and the crabs generally enjoy the moving water.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:37 am

Crabinski wrote: If you're having problems keeping the humidity up, adding bubblers to the pools will really provide a big boost and the crabs generally enjoy the moving water.
When I first put my bubbler in my FWP, my crabs couldn't stay out. Brutus even checked out the air stone. He finally left it alone after about 2 days. It also gave me a boost of around 5-8% in humidity...

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:17 pm

Freshwater, saltwater can cause bacterial blooms I believe.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:50 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:Freshwater, saltwater can cause bacterial blooms I believe.
Not really... ;)
Basically Crabinski summed up what SW does. When water evaporates, the salt doesn't. Basically, you could get your substrate saturated with salt which is great... If you want to preserve your crabs. :) But on a serious note, salt can cause serious burns to the crabs so constant misting of salt and the resulting (resalting??? :lol:) buildup in our substrate could cause potential moulters to die or become seriously ill.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:12 am

Oh okay, thank you,
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:15 pm

MrTeacherDude wrote:
Crabinski wrote: If you're having problems keeping the humidity up, adding bubblers to the pools will really provide a big boost and the crabs generally enjoy the moving water.
When I first put my bubbler in my FWP, my crabs couldn't stay out. Brutus even checked out the air stone. He finally left it alone after about 2 days. It also gave me a boost of around 5-8% in humidity...
What do you use to keep the air stones submerged?
I'm looking for ideas for humidity because I know the house dries out a lot when the heat goes on - but I've got crabs with 7/8" & 1" claws, so I picked out smallish plastic containers for pools (put pebbles in bottom as they were a wee bit deep still) but I feel like the pools are too small for aquarium air stones, they won't likely stay down.

LJJ
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:24 pm

I've got some natural coral(rock) and I have it wedged juuuuuust enough to hold it in place and that it doesn't kink the line...

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:41 pm

MrTeacherDude wrote:I've got some natural coral(rock) and I have it wedged juuuuuust enough to hold it in place and that it doesn't kink the line...
Would it be possible to put a plastic plant over the air stones to keep them down ?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:10 am

the air stones is made out of porous rock, so they will naturally sink. ;) Most likely, the crabs will/can drag them around, but a plant isn't going to stop them! So you can place a plant on top, but it certainly isn't required.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:23 am

My air stone had no problem staying in the water. I needed something from Brutus dragging it everywhere...