MOLD!!

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
LilHurricane

MOLD!!

Post by LilHurricane » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:41 am

I saw a small bug jumping around and noticed I have mold on my log. What do I do? And, what is the jumping tan bug?

bbcraft22

Re: MOLD!!

Post by bbcraft22 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:58 am

you should probably take out that log. But you should probably listen to more experienced crabbers.
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

Topic author
LilHurricane

Post by LilHurricane » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:01 am

I do. I'm on this forum reading constantly about these little critters. I want to give them a great home, but I seem to be missing a little something.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:34 am

You can boil the wood and soak it in saltwater to help inhibit future growth. Vinegar also inhibits mold and is crab safe. So, you could also use that to clean the wood. I'd let it dry completely before putting it back in. Mold happens in the 'tat though. It doesn't bother the crabs, its more of a potential hazard to us humans. As for the bug there is a list of common insects found in crabitats with pictures in the stickys in the crabitat conditions subforum. If you can get a pic somebody here might be able to identify it, but that might prove tricky. If it's only one you see I wouldn't worry anyways.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:29 am

Mold is a part of crabbing! Soak in salt water and air dry to clean and prevent future growth. Is that the only thing you are worried about?

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Topic author
LilHurricane

Post by LilHurricane » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:50 am

Pretty much. I posted pics on emergency and filled out the questionairre. Thank you for your advice. I will spray them with vinegar and soak in salt water.