Conflicts of information need some help here

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
isadoraisacat

Conflicts of information need some help here

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:54 pm

According to "hermit crab owners " Facebook group i was told

2 drops of prime to a gallon here 5
There mold is fine and no reason to remove mold and crabs eat it

Don't mix your sub with salt water it messes with the salt in the crabs shells.

I follow only advise from here and just want to see what the experts say because i feel this group is misinforming newcomers with information which may or may not be good / correct

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Re: Conflicts of information need some help here

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:35 pm

2 drops of prime is used to treat 1 gallon of water, but heavy chlorine/ammonia levels can require more if I remember correctly. Since it can be used several times over the recommended dosage without any I'll effects in assuming 5 is to make sure all water types are rendered safe. They are correct about mold, it's not harmful to the crabs it just might pose health risk to you. As for the last part I'm not so sure, but I do know the reason we recommend salt is it reduces bacteria and the growth of mold. It's not a requirement, it's just helpful. Every group has their own practices. Even each person, here included, have their own practices. I wouldn't stress too hard about the nitty gritty.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:47 pm

Rawrgeous wrote:2 drops of prime is used to treat 1 gallon of water, but heavy chlorine/ammonia levels can require more if I remember correctly. Since it can be used several times over the recommended dosage without any I'll effects in assuming 5 is to make sure all water types are rendered safe. They are correct about mold, it's not harmful to the crabs it just might pose health risk to you. As for the last part I'm not so sure, but I do know the reason we recommend salt is it reduces bacteria and the growth of mold. It's not a requirement, it's just helpful. Every group has their own practices. Even each person, here included, have their own practices. I wouldn't stress too hard about the nitty gritty.

Thanks that's what i was explaing my cities water is pretty heavily treated aka you can smell chlorine when you turn on the faucet so 5 drops was ok. About the sand they said the salt mixed in would burn the crabs and that if you see mold just leave it its fine. All these things seemed kind of odd answers to me just wanted to see what opinions here were. Had me second guessing my self and the hard work i put into my tank.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:51 pm

Salt will only burn crabs if it builds up too much over time, such as from misting with saltwater. Some salt in their sand is normal. It stands to reason the beaches would have salt in the sand. But again, different group, different care guides.

Topic author
isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:55 pm

Rawrgeous wrote:Salt will only burn crabs if it builds up too much over time, such as from misting with saltwater. Some salt in their sand is normal. It stands to reason the beaches would have salt in the sand. But again, different group, different care guides.

Thanks that's basically what i thought and said. I feel a bit better now lol thanks again

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:44 pm

We told you between 2-5 if your water was heavily treated.

Different groups are always going to have their own recommendations and opinions.

HCA has always had a more open minded approach to crabbing where some groups only recommend ONE WAY.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:07 am

soilentgringa wrote:We told you between 2-5 if your water was heavily treated.

Different groups are always going to have their own recommendations and opinions.

HCA has always had a more open minded approach to crabbing where some groups only recommend ONE WAY.

That's why I love this group! No pointless squabbling over minor details. :)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:18 am

I personally would remove it... In all my time of having mouldy fruit, I've never seen a crab eat mould... ever. :/ At most, I feed them mushrooms every so often, which they do take a bit out of but never mould itself. And true, mould isn't deadly to crabs - that we know of - however it can pose a health risk to us. To keep "everyone" safe, I would remove it.

~~~~~
My idea is to have a variety of sources and find the one that suits you the best! I can't really go "wrong" - except for a few people - but I understand that each to their own. its like keeping most pets, everyone will do something slightly different. I'm a firm believer there is no right way rather right ways.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:50 am

aussieJJDude wrote:I personally would remove it... In all my time of having mouldy fruit, I've never seen a crab eat mould... ever. :/ At most, I feed them mushrooms every so often, which they do take a bit out of but never mould itself. And true, mould isn't deadly to crabs - that we know of - however it can pose a health risk to us. To keep "everyone" safe, I would remove it.

~~~~~
My idea is to have a variety of sources and find the one that suits you the best! I can't really go "wrong" - except for a few people - but I understand that each to their own. its like keeping most pets, everyone will do something slightly different. I'm a firm believer there is no right way rather right ways.
Great advice !! And i do agree

Topic author
isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:52 am

soilentgringa wrote:We told you between 2-5 if your water was heavily treated.

Yes and my water is really heavily treated here and explained that and i was still.told 0.5 was too much. But i know I'm doing the right thing as you can smell the chlorine when your turn on tbe faucet. Its.true different group different guides but i just hope some of their advice doesn't negatively affect some new comers with different situations.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:06 am

I would say that you shouldn't feel bad about it, everyone has different ways of crabbing. IMO, mixing the EE with SW would be fine prior to being added to the sub, and as long as you don't keep adding SW over time by misting you should be fine as far as salt levels go.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:36 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:I would say that you shouldn't feel bad about it, everyone has different ways of crabbing. IMO, mixing the EE with SW would be fine prior to being added to the sub, and as long as you don't keep adding SW over time by misting you should be fine as far as salt levels go.
That's what i thought but their basically telling me a doing it all wrong by having sub mixed with Marine salt. All I'm trying to do is the right thing for the crabs. I spent hundreds of dollars , hours of time into this and its very stressful to hear someone say your doing it all wrong :( i def don't mist with salt and in fact i don't even need to mist. My moss pit keeps the humidity going and the sub hasn't dried out yet and now with a bubbler there's even more humidity the only thing i mist with fresh treated water is the moss pit every few day when it starts to dry out.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:16 pm

It is not allowed to post screen shots from other groups here.

I know for a fact that particular group does not allow sharing of images from their closed group; it is a ban worthy offense there.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:23 pm

Every group has their own recommendations and suggestions for care.

All you can do is research everything, fact check, look things up on your own, and read other experienced crabbers posts. If you use the search bar in the forum or read through the archives you will see conversations going back years on what works and what doesn't.

The HCA and LHC have been around in one form or another since the 90's. There are people who have had crabs that are still alive to this day, since the 90's.

I prefer to listen to people who have been doing this for a while and learned and grew as the community grew.

Topic author
isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:38 pm

soilentgringa wrote:Every group has their own recommendations and suggestions for care.

All you can do is research everything, fact check, look things up on your own, and read other experienced crabbers posts. If you use the search bar in the forum or read through the archives you will see conversations going back years on what works and what doesn't.

The HCA and LHC have been around in one form or another since the 90's. There are people who have had crabs that are still alive to this day, since the 90's.

I prefer to listen to people who have been doing this for a while and learned and grew as the community grew.

Ok still doesn't answer my question. I'm going to go with the salt water thing is ok because hco is the only place who doesn't see to like the idea so I'm going with majority rules here.
isadoraisacat wrote:
PinchersAndShells wrote:I would say that you shouldn't feel bad about it, everyone has different ways of crabbing. IMO, mixing the EE with SW would be fine prior to being added to the sub, and as long as you don't keep adding SW over time by misting you should be fine as far as salt levels go.
That's what i thought but their basically telling me a doing it all wrong by having sub mixed with Marine salt. All I'm trying to do is the right thing for the crabs. I spent hundreds of dollars , hours of time into this and its very stressful to hear someone say your doing it all wrong :( i def don't mist with salt and in fact i don't even need to mist. My moss pit keeps the humidity going and the sub hasn't dried out yet and now with a bubbler there's even more humidity the only thing i mist with fresh treated water is the moss pit every few day when it starts to dry out.