UTH vs Seeding Mat?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
erifley

UTH vs Seeding Mat?

Post by erifley » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:33 am

Hi there, super new to crab keeping and am prepping a 55 gallon tank for 6 hermies a friend is going to surrender to me. I have pretty much everything else figured out other than the UTH. While in my search for a good one on Amazon, I came across seeding mats, which seem much cheaper!
Has anyone ever substituted these for UTHs? Are they as safe? What size watt would I want for a 55 gallon (in Texas)?
I was looking at this one specifically: https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Durable- ... 2Bmat&th=1

Thank you so much for your time to read and answer!

Rawrgeous

Re: UTH vs Seeding Mat?

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:52 am

I imagine it could work rather well as long as it's safe to be insulated. :) You want to buy one that will cover the whole back of your tank to right at/ above your sub line.

Topic author
erifley

Post by erifley » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:27 am

I'm pretty sure this one is insulatable. I hope so because I took the chance and bought it! But it's exactly the perfect size to mount on the back of the tank :)
Thank you so much!

Paradi

Post by Paradi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:04 pm

The heater that I use is just a standard heating pad for muscle aches. It's probably older than I am. My father gave it to me many many years ago. I have it set to the lowest possible setting and pressed against the back of the tank and it works flawlessly! No need to even insulate it. My tank cruises between 75-82 degrees depending on how cold it is outside, and the time of day (though it normally stays between 79-81) And the temp flunctuations are extremely stable and steady! Colder days I see 75-79 and warmer days I see 79-82

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:44 am

Paradi wrote:The heater that I use is just a standard heating pad for muscle aches. It's probably older than I am. My father gave it to me many many years ago. I have it set to the lowest possible setting and pressed against the back of the tank and it works flawlessly! No need to even insulate it. My tank cruises between 75-82 degrees depending on how cold it is outside, and the time of day (though it normally stays between 79-81) And the temp flunctuations are extremely stable and steady! Colder days I see 75-79 and warmer days I see 79-82

These heating pads are not designed to be on 24/7 and to keep one on all the time puts you at risk for fire.

We absolutely do not recommend this.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Paradi

Post by Paradi » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:32 am

soilentgringa wrote:
Paradi wrote:The heater that I use is just a standard heating pad for muscle aches. It's probably older than I am. My father gave it to me many many years ago. I have it set to the lowest possible setting and pressed against the back of the tank and it works flawlessly! No need to even insulate it. My tank cruises between 75-82 degrees depending on how cold it is outside, and the time of day (though it normally stays between 79-81) And the temp flunctuations are extremely stable and steady! Colder days I see 75-79 and warmer days I see 79-82

These heating pads are not designed to be on 24/7 and to keep one on all the time puts you at risk for fire.

We absolutely do not recommend this.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk
It works great for me. But thank you for letting me know :)

n00dles33

Post by n00dles33 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:41 am

I'm also thinking of getting on but have noticed that my crabs like to climb BEHIND a climbing mat that I have put on the back wall of my tank and I'm worried about them getting burned.. any suggestions??

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:20 am

n00dles33 wrote:I'm also thinking of getting on but have noticed that my crabs like to climb BEHIND a climbing mat that I have put on the back wall of my tank and I'm worried about them getting burned.. any suggestions??
If it's a regular uth I wouldn't worry about it. My crabs have direct access to the glass and no burns to date.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk