Leaving on Vacation

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
rf9661

Leaving on Vacation

Post by rf9661 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Hello!

I will be leaving for 11 days on vacation and have no one to care for my hermit crabs. What machines work to maintain humidity, like an automatic mister? I have an automatic timer for the heat bulbs and UVB bulbs so thats not a concern to me. How should I go about them having enough food and water? Please let me know.

I've looking into Mist King for the automatic mister but their nozzles must be screwed in and I can't screw into the terrarium.

Regards,
Richard
2 Strawberry Hermit Crabs & 2 Purple Pincher Hermit Crabs
2 German Schnauzers

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Leaving on Vacation

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:07 pm

I can talk about the food and water.
Water will be fine for the duration of your holiday, as long as it large/deep enough that it won't dry up.
Dry foods are the best to give; things like oak leaves, cereals, dried shrimp, dried fruit, coconut shavings, seeds, nuts ect... will be fine. Just offer a variety, so they can pick and choose and it should be fine. :) I always like to feed the messy stuff the night before going away and then on the day, give them the dry foods; but thats me! :lol:

Do you need a humidifier to have the appropriate humidity levels? Could and airstone substitute?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
rf9661

Post by rf9661 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:52 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:I can talk about the food and water.
Water will be fine for the duration of your holiday, as long as it large/deep enough that it won't dry up.
Dry foods are the best to give; things like oak leaves, cereals, dried shrimp, dried fruit, coconut shavings, seeds, nuts ect... will be fine. Just offer a variety, so they can pick and choose and it should be fine. :) I always like to feed the messy stuff the night before going away and then on the day, give them the dry foods; but thats me! :lol:

Do you need a humidifier to have the appropriate humidity levels? Could and airstone substitute?
Ok, thanks! I doubt an air stone will work. Plus the tank is really good. So I'm looking for a type of misting system that will go off automatically. Do you think 2 ZooMed foggers would work? Any other ideas?
2 German Schnauzers

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:00 pm

Maybe two on timers, so one is on the other is off and then reverse? That way, you're doubling the amount of water available and ensuring that the mist/fog is throughout the tank and not on "one side" if your tank is dry...

I'd suggest getting them now - or something similar, ultrasonic humidifiers thats been modded work well, and often have a large reservoir - and doing a trial run, so you know how long you need to run them for - most cases, 24/7 isn't necessary - strength and how long they last. :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
rf9661

Post by rf9661 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:09 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Maybe two on timers, so one is on the other is off and then reverse? That way, you're doubling the amount of water available and ensuring that the mist/fog is throughout the tank and not on "one side" if your tank is dry...

I'd suggest getting them now - or something similar, ultrasonic humidifiers thats been modded work well, and often have a large reservoir - and doing a trial run, so you know how long you need to run them for - most cases, 24/7 isn't necessary - strength and how long they last. :)

I think I might make something like this since its more customizable but with the Large airstone, the 40G pump, a way larger container, and lots more tubing. I think that should work to raise humidity so I wont have to worry about it. I can probably attach it to an automatic timer to turn on and off during the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmYU-eKTfDM

So I'll either do the DIY or buy 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/Reptile-Humidifi ... ile+mister
2 German Schnauzers

amwilliams

Post by amwilliams » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:45 pm

rf9661 wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:Maybe two on timers, so one is on the other is off and then reverse? That way, you're doubling the amount of water available and ensuring that the mist/fog is throughout the tank and not on "one side" if your tank is dry...

I think I might make something like this since its more customizable but with the Large airstone, the 40G pump, a way larger container, and lots more tubing. I think that should work to raise humidity so I wont have to worry about it. I can probably attach it to an automatic timer to turn on and off during the day.

So I'll either do the DIY or buy 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/Reptile-Humidifi ... ile+mister
You'll have to report back on how this works. I watched this video also and some of the comments said it didn't work very well for them, so I didn't end up going this route. But I'd be very interested in knowing how it goes for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:12 pm

amwilliams wrote:
rf9661 wrote:

You'll have to report back on how this works. I watched this video also and some of the comments said it didn't work very well for them, so I didn't end up going this route. But I'd be very interested in knowing how it goes for you!

Ditto for me too! Would love to see how it's set up in ur tank and ur experience with it.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:23 pm

Have you considered a pet sitter?

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:13 pm

I've left my crabs for up to two weeks before. No issues.

As long as your tank conditions are stable, they'll be fine.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:14 pm

I don't recommend leaving a mister on, as it could oversaturate/flood the tank.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:59 pm

soilentgringa wrote:I don't recommend leaving a mister on, as it could oversaturate/flood the tank.
I understand what you mean, but if you have had it for multiple months in advance and understand how long to leave it on for, then there really shouldn't be a problem... similar to using a UTH. When you first set it up, you have a basic understanding of how well it will work to your tank. Over time, you develop a pattern and can address issues easily - due to heat - such as adding more during winter, and taking some off in summer.