Oh NO..problem a dumb question

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author

Oh NO..problem a dumb question

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:10 pm

Ok so I'm sorry for asking this question b/c I see no one else has asked it so I must be the only dumb one and I swear I did a lot of research.. but I have been feeding my crabs a commercial food diet ....after reading this uhoh I know...I mean I put some fruit in their also and some of the sample I got of organic worm casing from the crabbage patch and cuttlebone but I want to start feeding them good healthy food like the grains veggies protein...etc. they need love them so much and missing them (they are burried) so I was just wondering I guess is their a good place to start with all this is their a list somewhere of foods I should avoid giving them or foods they need everyday and also ....for athletic reasons their are weekends I will be away from them I read it was ok to leave food/water in their for a weekend and they will be ok ....do I leave like chicken(just an example) and fruit in their for two days or will it get to bad....wanting to treat my crabs right please help...

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:17 pm

Don't worry, this is actually a common and not-so-dumb question.

This is a list of safe foods. :)

This is a list of unsafe foods. :(

For feeding suggestions, I came up with a "Natural Diet" post in my blog. You can see that in the signature. It has my recommended ratios of what nutrient you should feed (it's more of an opinion than fact).

And, you can leave some foods in the tank for two days, but I wouldn't put meats in there for too long. I would feed dry foods on the days you are going to be gone.

This Site sells natural hermit crab foods (dried) for great prices.

hermietastic

Post by hermietastic » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:27 am

Gotta go with Kili, The Happy Hermit is freakin amazing. I have gotten 2 orders from them, the crabs devour the food. The Crabbage Patch is good too.
2 Bombina Orentalis
2 Eublepharis macularius
5 Coenobita clypeatus

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:20 am

Also, Hermitcrabaddictionstore.com is good. With your order, Vicki sends tons of samples, that way you can see what your babies like. Her stuff is 100% organic, pesticide free. Her shipping charges are way cheap, I think a little too cheap. My crabs absolutely love her stuff and she sells choya wood and other crabitat supplies cheaper than anywhere else, even stores. Give her a try.

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:29 pm

Ditto, all the above! When your gone it's best to leave a dry kibble in there, so as to not attract icky fruit flies and other buggies.
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Topic author

Thanks

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:51 pm

Awesome!! Thanks so much for the help everyone ....maybe they will come out and eat now :hlol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:08 pm

Ok another dumb question ...thanks for all the help its awesome and these sites are awesome I also just got a check so I can buy stuff!! Anyways my question is ....these sites have so many options I don't know where to start...should I get a sample pack with like a protein, fruit, vegetable, and grain and see what my hermies like??