What is a moss pit?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
CrabbyMo

What is a moss pit?

Post by CrabbyMo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:47 am

What is the purpose of a moss pit and how do you build one?
I'm new and eager to learn!
Crabitat: 52 Gallon flat-back hex
Crabs: 4 Compressus; 2 Clypeatus
Is Crab obsession a Bad thing? LOL

howche

Re: What is a moss pit?

Post by howche » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:27 am

Moss pits are used to increase/maintain humidity levels. Hiawatha or Sphagnum (not Sphagnum pit moss) are some varieties of moss you can purchase in dried forms. Simply moisten dried moss (like a sponge) and place in a container. Some crabbers place their moss in shower caddies with suction cups for space/appearance purposes.

Example of dried form:
http://www.bunnings.com.au/propagation- ... 2_p3010215

Example of a moss pit:

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:34 am

The water dishes are what just caught my eye. Are they made of a hard rubber? Where were they purchased?

New mom to 2 PP's- Paul (1 molt) & Juan (1 molt) and 3E's- Harry, Sarge(currently molting) and Gary Also 1 Yorkie-Joey and 1 cat-Milo and 2 teenage daughters.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

MissFrost

Post by MissFrost » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:31 am

I use forest moss, it's in the reptile section and comes in little bricks. You tear pieces off and soak them in water. Squeeze the excess water out and find a small container to use as a "pit" for the moss. Spray it to re-moisten as needed. It helps keep humidity up in the tank, and the crabs can eat it. I keep two moss pits in my tank, one wet for humidity and one dry because my crabs wont hang out in it if it's wet. The dry moss pit is their favorite spot in the whole tank.

Here is a pic of my dry moss pit:

smeegal

Post by smeegal » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:21 pm

Hey hey,

just trying to buy moss in Sydney at the moment and came across the below product at bunnings. Just wanted to know how this product is still going for you or if you found something better?

Cheers
howche wrote:Moss pits are used to increase/maintain humidity levels. Hiawatha or Sphagnum (not Sphagnum pit moss) are some varieties of moss you can purchase in dried forms. Simply moisten dried moss (like a sponge) and place in a container. Some crabbers place their moss in shower caddies with suction cups for space/appearance purposes.

Example of dried form:
http://www.bunnings.com.au/propagation- ... 2_p3010215

Example of a moss pit:

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:36 pm

Home Depot also has a great moss for US shoppers $3.97

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mosser-Lee-4 ... /202301542

same price at Lowes

http://www.lowes.com/pd_139450-83666-01 ... facetInfo=

Much cheaper and same quality as the pet store sphagnum moss.
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:11 am

smeegal wrote:Hey hey,

just trying to buy moss in Sydney at the moment and came across the below product at bunnings. Just wanted to know how this product is still going for you or if you found something better?

Cheers
As another aussie hermit crab owner, I do think that this type of moss that howche listed is a really good choice. another option is to looking in Masters and see the loose moss they have for sale. Off memory it cost around $10 but you could moss pit a 2 foot tank around 3 inches deep! :lol:
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

smeegal

Post by smeegal » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:24 am

I have this in my tank. It's really good, the crabs seem to have taken well to it! :)
aussieJJDude wrote: As another aussie hermit crab owner, I do think that this type of moss that howche listed is a really good choice. another option is to looking in Masters and see the loose moss they have for sale. Off memory it cost around $10 but you could moss pit a 2 foot tank around 3 inches deep! :lol:

lessthansign3

Post by lessthansign3 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:43 pm

Moss is great for keeping up humidity, and mine always love nibbling on it! At least, the stuff I buy must be delicious. Can't remember which kind - not sphagnum, but the stuff I have right now I got from HCP and I'm too lazy to get up and look at the package (it's cold and I'm comfy in my blankets, sorry :crabblush: )