Coconut mat

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Wlfwo

Coconut mat

Post by Wlfwo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Has anyone used this coconut mat?Image

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
Last edited by Wlfwo on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

ciaraalston

Re: Coconut mat

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:38 pm

I didn't add this one, but I used the one from Petco. I lined my 20 long with it. It looked amazing in the tank! But the crabs shredding it within a couple of weeks. There was holes everywhere, and they hid behind it against the heater lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
Wlfwo

Post by Wlfwo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:41 am

I plan to zip tie it to some egg crate. So hopefully if I get the ties close enough they won't be able to get behind it.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:49 pm

I just built a tank a month or so back using egg crate and coconut fiber method. When I zip tied the mat I went every two squares around the entire outside of the egg crate. Depending on how much you plan on doing and how elaborate plan on using a full pack of zip ties. For the 20 G probably used 150 or more to do the rear, two sides, shelves, and attaching the moss pit and wheel.

Here's a link to that build if it will help you out.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 1#p1073151
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:57 pm

I’m almost done with my mats on egg crate- I used these, and they were really nice and thick, and tightly woven, so I expect them to last for a while. (I really hope so bc I’m not sure what I’ll do when they finally destroy it in the future! Lol but for now, these are where I got them, I didn’t notice if the one you posted is a single or double mat in the order, these come with 2. I had to use almost 4 to line my shelves and back of a 72 gal bow front I’m using, 47” long. Good luck!
Here’s a pic of what I’ve got so far. Also, what Motorcrab said- lots of zipties! I went with thicker ones on my background, bc they were geeen and (I felt) a lot stronger. And I could space them a little farther, with tinies in between- you’ll see... Image

ImageDave the Wondercrab~Patpat the Scaredy Cat~MaggieMoo~Billy-Lil Monster~Thing1~Thing2Image

Topic author
Wlfwo

Post by Wlfwo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:26 pm

Motorcrab, I read that which gave me the idea to use them. Overmountain 1, I will check those out, thank you

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Cocofiber mat is always a favorite with crabs!! The egg crate idea is fabulous!!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com