Hamster wheels

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

purplepincher

Re: Hamster wheels

Post by purplepincher » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:40 am

okay, thanks for letting me know!
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:10 pm

Sorry for late reply, but there are also hamster wheels that you can building with a fidget spinner or hobby shop bearings attached to a plastic Tofu container or other Tupperware. Youtube has a lot. I personally haven't made any yet, but I've seen a few in @Motörcrab and @Xenocrab tank.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:48 am

We made a wheel out of a saucer. Our crabs never really used it when it laid flat like a plate. We added mesh to the back of the wheel and built a walking area like a normal wheel. The crabs use it more and they try to climb the back of it too. It sits angled back so it it a little different than a standard wheel.

The little 1/4 cup wheel took some time to figure out how to make it work so it spins easily. It was made for the baby crabs we adopted back in July. So far we haven't noticed any of them on it. We figured a smaller wheel would spin easier for them since their shells are smaller than a dime. For the time I have invested in this wheel I don't think I would build another small wheel.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities