Crabby Climber

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Hermiesguardian

Re: Crabby Climber

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:50 am

You can add up to an inch of substrate when the crabs are under, every 24hrs as long as you don't pat it down.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:04 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:You can add up to an inch of substrate when the crabs are under, every 24hrs as long as you don't pat it down.
Thank you. That's what I'll do then. I was worried about any tunnels collapsing, but I did see where each crab went under. I'll just avoid those areas and do the 1" per day for a couple of days.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:29 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:04 am
Thank you. That's what I'll do then. I was worried about any tunnels collapsing, but I did see where each crab went under. I'll just avoid those areas and do the 1" per day for a couple of days.

You can cover them too. Just don't pat it down. Put it in carefully. The reason for deep substrate is so the other crabs don't smell their yummy molting smell and eat them.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:26 pm

I'll definitely make sure not to pat it down. Thank you for all the info.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

sallrw

Post by sallrw » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:09 pm

Oh that's a really nice net! It's way better than the one I bought at Wally-World. Great job!

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:40 pm

sallrw wrote:Oh that's a really nice net! It's way better than the one I bought at Wally-World. Great job!
Thanks so much! I did take the bridge part down since it was too close to the top of the tank. I have a couple of more ideas to move things around but can't do much until the crabbies come up from molting. Image Getting them a wheel like yours is definitely a thought!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:46 pm

That's a nice net! Great job!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:45 pm

GotButterflies wrote:That's a nice net! Great job!
Thank you!!! I just ordered a plastic riser from Amazon, and I think I'm going to attach the climber to it. I finally got a wheel too and put the craft mesh inside (the plastic silent spinner, 4.5"). It's a little small but the 6.5" would have been too big for my tank. My 2 new rescues should fit fine in there, but my Beau might not be able to get his big ole shell in there lol. Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:13 pm

Awesome! You must post pics with updates :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:44 pm

Thanks, I will! My plastic riser is coming tomorrow.

Nitegoddess

Post by Nitegoddess » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:58 pm

Is there a way to keep the net from molding? Mine kept getting moldy and saltwater soaking did not help so I gave up on using it.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Nitegoddess wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:58 pm
Is there a way to keep the net from molding? Mine kept getting moldy and saltwater soaking did not help so I gave up on using it.
Saltwater soak then make sure COMPLETELY dry before putting back in; and the best way to discourage mold in general is to have a small fan in the tank to keep air moving regularly (I have mine on a timer so it isn't on all the time and I can adjust how much on or off to help control humidity levels).
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Nitegoddess

Post by Nitegoddess » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:34 pm

I never thought of a fan. I will have to look into that, thank you!

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Nitegoddess wrote:Is there a way to keep the net from molding? Mine kept getting moldy and saltwater soaking did not help so I gave up on using it.
I actually made my own using jute twine. I like to crochet, so I just crocheted mine with twine instead of yarn. I've been lucky and haven't had a problem with it molding. Maybe the type of twine it is makes more resistant to mold? I'm not sure. Image

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:35 am

I love your bridge, it turned out great! I think as long as you keep something heavy on top of your lid, you will be fine. A lot of people keep the screen lids (covered to hold humidity) bc they like to let their crabs climb up on the lid. Hermit crabs can get just about anywhere they want to, I’ve seen mine in places I have no idea how they got there. I go a little overboard, I use strapping tape on each corner of my lids and keep gallon jugs of water on top also. It doesn’t look the best but no one is going to get out! Lol!