Hermit Crab Killing Fields

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
VickieG

Hermit Crab Killing Fields

Post by VickieG » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:37 pm

How do I keep my crabs from killing their plants? In the last 6 months they've eaten an entire fern, a sorrel plant (the only one they were supposed to eat!) and a dracaena. They killed a beautiful bromelied by first snapping off the upper 2/3rds and finally by digging the rest out of the planter. They also dug out 2 other succulents and my most recent casualty is an arrowhead plant. They dug out over half the soil and the roots appear to have been clipped off. I think I can replant it, but they're just going to dig it out again. The only plants left are 2 crotons. Either they don't care for the taste of those or they're just biding their time. Lulling me into a false sense of security before killing them.

They seem to like hiding in amongst the leaves and poking through the soil for whatever. Sometimes I put moss on top of the soil for them. I'm fine with the occasional casualty, but my issue becomes what do I replace these plants with? Should I give in and go with another yummy fern or should I try to find a way to limit their access to the soil? The same thing happens when I plant seeds. As soon as they sprout, if they last long enough to do so, they're dead.

I really don't want to use artificial plants. I'd rather just replace the plants, albeit reluctantly, and muttering under my breath.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Cococrabgirl!

Re: Hermit Crab Killing Fields

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:19 pm

Sorry I don't have advice. But I am curious what succulents are safe for crabbies. My succulents keep multiplying and if they are safe for my crabbies that would be great because I have an infinite supply.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:25 pm

How is it set up in the tank. I've had great success in keeping the plants up high (away from the crabs usual activities) and others have had great success in covering the pot with large pebbles, rocks or plastic mesh (even eggcrate) to stop the crabs from digging into the planter.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

curlysister

Post by curlysister » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:58 pm

Aussie made a really great guide to plants!

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 9&t=120839
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers