My DIY crabitat items

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
eldorf.dragonsbane

My DIY crabitat items

Post by eldorf.dragonsbane » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:01 am

Well copied a couple items from Motorcrab and Xenocrabs for my crabitat. The curiosity cubes and the acurite digital gauge holder. The items from thse two can be purchased here https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Great ideas and easy to obtain materials to make them (at least for me since I work in a craft store and we carry plastic canvas, with a dollar tree in the same complex that has the small zip ties available). I will admit though did buy some of the plastic canvas sheets, in colors we didnt have/dont carry, from one of our competitors when I went I'm with my mom who was looking for an item we dont carry, at least not in my store.

Also in the pic with the gauge holder is the Flukers bamboo tension rods, one I had just finished wrapping on my lunch break, the other was completed at home.

Will be building a few more of the cubes, along with using g some plastic canvas as ramps for the water dish upgrades (have a bunch of blue trays that are about 2 in deep that will be using for water, moss pit and a shell shop along with growing some chia in one for the crabs.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

*Edit* This post isn't meant to insult Xeno or Motor, but to show my admiration at their designs for the curiosity cube and the acurite holder. Again as I replied below main reason I made them myself is the materials other then the zip ties are readily available at the craft store I work at, and it gave me something to do while on a lunch break. To quote Oscar Wilde- "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness."
Last edited by eldorf.dragonsbane on Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently keeping 6 PP's- Tawas, Mr. J, Highwire, Mimzi, Carter and Taggart in a 29g aquarium

mlakers

Re: My DIY crabitat items

Post by mlakers » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:17 am

Obviously none of us have copyright on our uniquely designed crabitat items, but as a seller myself, I know I would be annoyed if someone started making identical objects to what I have designed and sell at my shop and then posted publicly about it, complete with pictures. At the very least, I think it would be good form to provide a link in case people who read this want to purchase from the original designer.

Coenobita Curiosities on Etsy is where you can support the original seller. https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:32 am

mlakers wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:17 am
Obviously none of us have copyright on our uniquely designed crabitat items, but as a seller myself, I know I would be annoyed if someone started making identical objects to what I have designed and sell at my shop and then posted publicly about it, complete with pictures. At the very least, I think it would be good form to provide a link in case people who read this want to purchase from the original designer.

Coenobita Curiosities on Etsy is where you can support the original seller. https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities
I completely agree. I would be a little annoyed if someone copied my video ideas from my channel! :crabbigsmile:
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper

Topic author
eldorf.dragonsbane

Post by eldorf.dragonsbane » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:34 am

Posted that from my phone so didnt have the Coenobita Curiosities link handy, as you can see in my initial post I did give Xeno and Motor credit for the designs, though I will be going back and editing the original post to include the link to their shop. Main reason I made my own instead of ordering them is that since I work in a craft store and we have the plastic canvas available, it gave me something to do while I was bored on lunch.
Currently keeping 6 PP's- Tawas, Mr. J, Highwire, Mimzi, Carter and Taggart in a 29g aquarium

HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:53 am

eldorf.dragonsbane wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:34 am
Posted that from my phone so didnt have the Coenobita Curiosities link handy, as you can see in my initial post I did give Xeno and Motor credit for the designs, though I will be going back and editing the original post to include the link to their shop. Main reason I made my own instead of ordering them is that since I work in a craft store and we have the plastic canvas available, it gave me something to do while I was bored on lunch.
TY
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper