Second level

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Arkos

Second level

Post by Arkos » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Picked up supplies out of town. I did find a couple things I wanted you guys opinion on before I go ahead and put it in my crabitat. I got a roll if burlap from walmart crafting section, it said it was natural on one of the tags. Another tag says 100% jute. It wasn't expensive so it's not a great loss if I can't use it but I think it would be awesome to use. And then I bought this flexible moss covered bridge that's by thrive and is meant for a reptile hab. It feels like it's a flexible metal frame inside, and there are some metal wire ties. No sharp ends exposed just one or two wraps here and there. Let me know what you guys think. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Crab dad to 5 PP's

mool

Re: Second level

Post by mool » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:35 am

Oh! It looks like you got some great stuff. I can't wait to see how you incorporate it!

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:11 am

I have and use the burlap in my crabitat...I love how it looks! Haven’t had it long enough to see how it holds up to the humidity though...we’ll see! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Arkos

Post by Arkos » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:45 pm

Awesome, thanks for the input guys. I've got two 2x4 egg crate panels, a big viney plant from hobby lobby, I can cut multiple pieces off of it and zip tie them or silicone down wherever I need. I got a saucer type hamster wheel, tons of craft mesh, and the hermit grub just came in the mail this morning :D I also ordered two more turbo variety packs from naples. I noticed my most active crab, chong, has only just now figured out the joys of the shell shop. I sat and watched him switch between 5 different shells in less than an hour. One was so big he got stuck on his back when he lost his balance and fell backwards. It was hilarious watching him figure out how to right himself. Work got cancelled for the day, so I guess I start the second level build today.

Crab dad to 5 PP's

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:55 am

I’m sure that was fun to watch!

Topic author
Arkos

Post by Arkos » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:47 pm

Alright. Hundreds of zip ties and several sheets of craft mesh later, here's the beginning of the second level for the little guys. There's a before (you can see all 3 of my little ones :D ) and then what it looks like now. Nearly done, just have to figure out how to incorporate the moss bridge and some plants and burlap and stuff. Any suggestions? It's all easily removable for cleanings sake, and nothing is really finalized so I would love some input. ImageImageImage

Crab dad to 5 PP's

HermieBingo

Post by HermieBingo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:26 pm

Cool! It kinda looks like an actual mini house! :) lol
My only crabbie Charolette :)
R.I.P. Bingo

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Omg, it looks so good...great big 2nd level!

Maybe you could use the moss bridge and burlap somehow to create hides for them up top...? Hard to tell where there’s space, but you could also use bridge as a ramp to the 2nd level. I like to use my burlap to make little hammocks. I also take my plastic plants by the stem and just push them down into stuff/sub around the back and side walls of the tank. You could even use these things to create some “texture” on the 2nd level...like just make it part of the landscaping, more to climb on/hide under. Just some random thoughts, lol. Hope it helps stir up more ideas. Your crabbies are gonna love their new space!

Topic author
Arkos

Post by Arkos » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:20 pm

Thank you guys, im really happy with the progress :D . So far I've integrated the moss bridge as a ladder/perch, its a bit blurry in the pic because theres a lot of condensation at the minute. and I plan on draping a couple pieces of burlap down from the very top edge of the back ground, where you see my crab, to the edge of the second level to make a sort of climbing/hammock area. I've also got this great big vine I will be pulling apart to weave through the back drop since my littlest one loves to climb and hang out on it so much already. He was out and exploring before I could even put the lid back on. And I'll probably add a small rail type thing to one side on the top floor and move the shell shop up a floor so I can put the wheel down stairs. And then cover the top floor in maybe live moss since the roots might be able to establish in the mesh and between the egg crate. We will have to see ImageImageImage

Crab dad to 5 PP's

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:59 pm

Lucky little crabs!

Topic author
Arkos

Post by Arkos » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:25 pm

My second batch of shells came in, bringing me up to 32 shells :D and shell shop 2.0 is nearly ready. Soaking some burlap in vinegar to make a hammock off the side. Naples really has gorgeous shells Image

Crab dad to 5 PP's

mool

Post by mool » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:04 pm

So cool! You've done a great job on your entire crabitat!!

Topic author
Arkos

Post by Arkos » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:33 pm

Thank you :D I really love the little guys and want to make their tat as nice as possible. I added the shell shop with built in hammock, as well as one section of fake plant greenery to the background, if they like it when they're back out then I will do the entire back drop in the vine. I just added some rehydrated sphagnum to the top floor for now to give them something better to walk on, and the wheel to the bottom floor. And I finally got the air pump going for the water dishes air stones/bubbler. Can't wait for them to discover everything.ImageImageImage

Crab dad to 5 PP's

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:58 pm

wow it looks amazing!! keep up the great work!!