Building My Crabitat

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
emberfusion

Building My Crabitat

Post by emberfusion » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi friends :)

I'm really excited to get back into crabbing and I wanted to go ahead and start this thread to keep track of my progress.

I'm using an old chest of drawers as the base and building up from there.

I picked up an old window that I'm going to be using for the front/door of the tank & I will be picking up 2 more tomorrow for the sides. I wasn't originally sure if I wanted windows on the sides of the tank, but after doing some more measuring and beginning work, I've decided I do.

The wood is all going to be treated with an epoxy & then for extra protection I'm also going to be lining the wood with plastic sheeting. I want to put something else over the plastic sheeting that will help keep the crabs away from it in the event they can actually get that far (going to be putting up great stuff foam backgrounds and what have you).

So far all I've gotten around to doing is gutting the chest of drawers, taping up the window glass, sanding everything, and reinforcing the back of the chest of drawers (now bottom of the tank).

Suggestion Time (pictures next)!
If you guys could have anything in your dream tank what would it be?

I've seen a lot of people putting in false bottoms, should I put one in too? Never had a false bottom before, but also never had any moment in time where I wish I had one.

Last question: how do you think I should do my pools? I love a nice aesthetic and am all about a natural looking crabitat, but I'm also worried about cleaning access. In the past I've had built in pools that I loved, but were a true nightmare to really clean.

Okay okay. Picture time. Nothing exciting yet, but this is going to take some time.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Building My Crabitat

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:47 pm

We've been doing a lot of home improvement lately, so I just want to say be cautious with that window. If it's pre-1974 that flaking paint will have lead in it. I've never seen anything on what lead could possibly do to crabs, but because of the moisture it's likely to leach if not carefully sealed. Just something to keep in mind!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:54 pm

This is going to be super cool!

One day I'm going to have a waterfall of sorts in my tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:41 pm

wodesorel wrote:We've been doing a lot of home improvement lately, so I just want to say be cautious with that window. If it's pre-1974 that flaking paint will have lead in it. I've never seen anything on what lead could possibly do to crabs, but because of the moisture it's likely to leach if not carefully sealed. Just something to keep in mind!

It doesn't seem to be quite that old, but either way this entire thing is getting sealed up super tight all over. I'm taking the time to do it right from the start so I don't have to find/make another crabitat in the future.

Giner13 wrote:This is going to be super cool!

One day I'm going to have a waterfall of sorts in my tankImage

I've always loved waterfalls in tanks. I've got one on my list to try to work into my decorating plans, so we'll see. :)

Topic author
emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:58 pm

Picked up 2 more matching windows and got them taped up today.

Also got the base sanded and one coat of paint on.

Going to work on getting dinner on the table and then off to sanding my windows a million times :lol:

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Looking great! Just be super careful about any fumes getting in the crabitat- could be disastrous.

Topic author
emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Hermiearth wrote:Looking great! Just be super careful about any fumes getting in the crabitat- could be disastrous.

Oh, I know. This ain't my first rodeo. :hlol:
It's going to have plenty of time to cure and air out.

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:50 pm

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Just FYI, Rustoleum is also sold in pint sized cans. With cheap foam rollers or brushes it's better coverage and way less expensive then going through cans of the spray!

Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Wow! Very creative! You sure have accomplished a lot in a short amount of time! Can't wait to see the finished product! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:58 pm

That is super cool! You should start a company of making these cool DIY crabitats, LOL.
Rest in peace, Brigadier (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Lola (9/21/15) (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Harley (adopted on 4/29/16)
Rest in peace, Acuff (adopted in 5/20)

Topic author
emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:38 pm

wodesorel wrote:Just FYI, Rustoleum is also sold in pint sized cans. With cheap foam rollers or brushes it's better coverage and way less expensive then going through cans of the spray!

I have a ton of spray paint around here so I'm just using up what I have. :) Will remember for the future though. I'm always working on some project or another.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Topic author
emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 am

Ahhh, it feels good to be home. We have been out of town since Thursday - I've been dreaming about working on my crabitat. :crabblush:
The addiction is SO real.

Anyway, today is window day. Going to be working on getting those windows ready.

My nephews found a nice piece of diftwood for my crabs that I'm thinking about mounting into my foam wall as a ledge.

At it's widest points, it's about 16 inches by 13 inches. Pretty good size. Still need to clean it up, but I'm excited about adding it in.
Some point soon I need to bring all my other crab stuff up from the basement and inventory everything. That's a big job. :shock:

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:50 am

Nice find!

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Coolio! The crabies will love that.