Building My Crabitat

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

EPAS

Re: Building My Crabitat

Post by EPAS » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:19 am

Check out the thrift stores especially the Humane society thrift store. You find a lot of fish stuff there.

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:54 pm

this...is...so...EPIC. Great documentation too, what has been your total cost so far?

Topic author
emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:57 pm

ErikRasmussen wrote:this...is...so...EPIC. Great documentation too, what has been your total cost so far?
I had a lot of what I needed already on hand so I spent less than $100 on building this bad boy.

That's not factoring in what I spent to fill it (substrate, water pools, decor, etc.).

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Nice! Have you measured out the total Volume?

Topic author
emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:18 pm

ErikRasmussen wrote:Nice! Have you measured out the total Volume?
Inside measurements come out to roughly 215 gallons of space.

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Wow! Great build! Feeling inspired!

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

Jellybean!

Post by Jellybean! » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Wow!! That is awesome! I can't wait to see what it looks like with the little crabbies in it! Are you planning on doing any live plants in there?
14 PPs
Follow my hermie instagram account: jellyhermies

Topic author
emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:47 pm

Jellybean! wrote:Wow!! That is awesome! I can't wait to see what it looks like with the little crabbies in it! Are you planning on doing any live plants in there?
I will definitely be adding some plants and I already got it set up and actually adopted some crabs yesterday. I'll get some pics of them up soon, I was just waiting until I finalized my decor.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:01 pm

emberfusion wrote:
Jellybean! wrote:Wow!! That is awesome! I can't wait to see what it looks like with the little crabbies in it! Are you planning on doing any live plants in there?
I will definitely be adding some plants and I already got it set up and actually adopted some crabs yesterday. I'll get some pics of them up soon, I was just waiting until I finalized my decor.

Can't wait to see pictures! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:40 pm

So I have some concerns and feel like it would be negligent of me not to voice them...

Did you seal the entire inside of the wood with a crab safe epoxy resin?

How long did you wait to let the fumes dissipate before adding substrate?

Is there exposed pine wood (usually treated with chemicals at the lumberyard. My uncle is a carpenter and whatever they treat the wood with causes massive issues when he gets splinters.)

Oil based paint takes days to cure on it's own and it would need to be sealed as well in order to be safe.

If your silicone isn't cured yet and water is in the dishes already, that will poison the crabs too.

I noticed you said this isn't your first rodeo and that's cool and all but with the timeline given it doesn't look like everything has had time to cure properly and be fume free.

I am also worried about using plastic liner under the substrate. As you know, crabs are some crafty diggers. We've had members crabs pinch their way through weed block fabric and eggcrate and get trapped under false bottoms.

Since you wouldn't be able to see this you could have crabs getting caught up under the plastic, and anything leaching from the plastic could harm the crabs.

I think it was an amazing undertaking and super impressive, I just wanted to point out those things that are worrisome to me.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:15 am

I'm on the same page as SG - awesomely impressive build, but have the same concerns as listed above.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:40 am

soilentgringa wrote:So I have some concerns and feel like it would be negligent of me not to voice them...

Did you seal the entire inside of the wood with a crab safe epoxy resin?

How long did you wait to let the fumes dissipate before adding substrate?

Is there exposed pine wood (usually treated with chemicals at the lumberyard. My uncle is a carpenter and whatever they treat the wood with causes massive issues when he gets splinters.)

Oil based paint takes days to cure on it's own and it would need to be sealed as well in order to be safe.

If your silicone isn't cured yet and water is in the dishes already, that will poison the crabs too.

I noticed you said this isn't your first rodeo and that's cool and all but with the timeline given it doesn't look like everything has had time to cure properly and be fume free.

I am also worried about using plastic liner under the substrate. As you know, crabs are some crafty diggers. We've had members crabs pinch their way through weed block fabric and eggcrate and get trapped under false bottoms.

Since you wouldn't be able to see this you could have crabs getting caught up under the plastic, and anything leaching from the plastic could harm the crabs.

I think it was an amazing undertaking and super impressive, I just wanted to point out those things that are worrisome to me.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
I'm in the middle of a thousand things right now, so this is going to be quick, but I actually started on everything well before I created this thread and everything had way more time than the directions said to set and cure and get rid of those fumes (a lot of the smelly stuff got quite a lot of outside sunshine & wind as well). Everything I used is crab safe! No exposed pine! I'm brainstorming with my dad (also a carpenter) about ways to make sure we know if any crabs get stuck, but I think we have a good idea I'll be able to put in place in a couple of days (gma is in ICU so things are kind of whack in general around here right now).

Thank you for sharing your concerns and I can go into more detail later tonight, but I wanted to go ahead and address this while I had a quick second!