Accidentally put a pine hideaway in my tank! Help please!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Randomperson428

Accidentally put a pine hideaway in my tank! Help please!

Post by Randomperson428 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Earlier today I got a larger tank for my two crabs, and decided to use an old pine hideaway I had from a prior tank setup. As I looked into it, I learned pine is toxic to crabs, so I immediately removed it after about 7-8 hours of it being in the tank. How long does it take pine to affect crabs??? Currently they look fine but I'd like to know if anyone else has been through something like this without losing a crab before.

My tank conditions have been relatively the same throughout the year, and I've had one of the two crabs since I first set up the tank. The second crab is about a month old but doing well so far.

Thanks so much!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Accidentally put a pine hideaway in my tank! Help please

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:27 pm

The pine hides are fine, they are well aged and many crabbers have been using them for a decade or more. They just have a tendency to mold in the humidity.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Randomperson428

Re: Accidentally put a pine hideaway in my tank! Help please

Post by Randomperson428 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:05 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.

I decided to remove it permanently because I had heard so many conflicting opinions throughout the Internet.

Good to know however! <3