I guess its offical... an upgrade?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I guess its offical... an upgrade?

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks both!
GotButterflies wrote:What the heck is taking so long?

LOL!!!
Haha, you said for me to take my time. I'm doing as such!

(Uni exams are coming up, so currently focusing on them... Currently going through the assignments phase, which is anything but fun.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:37 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Thanks both!

LOL!!!

(Uni exams are coming up, so currently focusing on them... Currently going through the assignments phase, which is anything but fun.

I know, I know...I'm just messing with you!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Thanks both!

LOL!!!

I feel the same way @GB! Image

@aussieJJDude Good luck on exams!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:42 pm

:hlol: Great minds think alike!

Oh - yes - good luck on your exams! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:21 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
I feel the same way @GB! Image

@aussieJJDude Good luck on exams!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Haha, thank you! Dont worry, I feel just the same. Seeing an empty exo terra is painful!

GotButterflies wrote::hlol: Great minds think alike!

Oh - yes - good luck on your exams! :)
Haha, thanks!

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:45 am

With the plants are you planning on planting them in pots or directly in the substrate? I've been debating trying live plants in my 'tat for awhile, and I'm interested to see what happens with yours!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:53 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:With the plants are you planning on planting them in pots or directly in the substrate? I've been debating trying live plants in my 'tat for awhile, and I'm interested to see what happens with yours!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
For this setup, it will be pots within the background... potentially for my next setup, I will plant directly within the ground. But this setup is mostly going to be 'beachy' in setup, so hopefully means very little in terms of plant mass....

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:29 am

Well, some progress is better than none right?

Lately I've pretty much been working full time night shifts, often leading to me sleeping during the day, or most of it. This results in lazy me having not done much. BUT, last week, manager was nice enough to let me have a couple of days off - something about my pay blowing the budget - which was nice, and started the build, or more accurately, did some shopping - and was driving over Melbourne for the various supplies!

I have a 'stand'. If you can call it that, its mostly a sheet of wood with a couple of offcuts to prop it off the ground. I haven't put it together, but its a 5 min job - put the offcuts on the floor, put the wood on top. Done. So that is pretty much done.

Also have a couple pieces of malaysian driftwood going into the tank. One is fairly big, and will be used as a ramp of sorts going across most of the levels. The other two are mostly decoration, and have no idea where I'm putting them as of yet.

Have also put together my eggcrate background. I don't really like to use UTH - primarily for the reason that selection is terrible in Aus, and that I don't find them to work in larger tanks unless I get multiple.... - so I'm content with the back being covered. Originally I was going to have an internal 'duct work' (like in this link) but was thinking of it being such a waste of space, and decided to turn it into a cool hiding tower instead...
ImageImageImage

You can see the original platform where the fan was going to sit, but oh well... I think they will prefer this a lot more IMO.

I decided not to extend the background all the way to the top of the vivarium, rather it stops a good couple of inches from the top since I'm not doing the 'ductwork' fan system. This is to create a ledge across the entire back - which I think they will like to use - and also for future expansion, since I plan on connecting another tank to this one which provides a good entry/exit from this tank to the other, without worrying about future placement of the tunnel being impacted by the background...
ImageImage

Still needing to put together the final pieces - mostly zip tie some egg crate to create further platforms - before siliconing the eggcrate to the back of the tank. After that, I'm waiting for various supplies of ebay to come in the mail - mostly 'flower pots' and glass - and you could also say a running wheel (will be tied into the 'scape'), but can always be included later... - before I being the fun adventure of foaming in the background. Both should of arrived by now, but expecting them to arrive sometime next week. In the meantime, been actively searching for inspo and tips and tricks to getting it to be perfect!

Oh yeah! a very nice LED light came in the mail for the marine pool. It's used to grow corals and such, and while I may not grow corals in this application - even though its tempting to try! haha I'm bad - it will certainly grow algae and such. Which I think would be nice for the crabs to snack on.... The marine pool is going to be around 2 - 3g in size - and roughly take up a 1/4 ish of the floor space - so hopefully will be large enough to accommodate the straws, since they noted to enjoy swimming... And I don't feel my current takeaway containers are cutting it TBH.

So to summarise:
- progress has been made - surprisingly I know
- waiting for glass and pots before I go to town with expanding foam
- ebay is fantastic but the wait for supplies comming in the mail - or getting my glass peices cut - is painful!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:22 pm

I had to quote your post to be able to copy and paste the link but that link has some amazing stuff in it. Those vivariums are incredibly beautiful, I can’t wait to see how yours turns out! Do you have any pictures of your progress so far? I love seeing pictures of how they come together. They are so beautiful, they look like little rainforests.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:54 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:I had to quote your post to be able to copy and paste the link but that link has some amazing stuff in it. Those vivariums are incredibly beautiful, I can’t wait to see how yours turns out! Do you have any pictures of your progress so far? I love seeing pictures of how they come together. They are so beautiful, they look like little rainforests.

Yeah. My bad. Link is now fixed! :D
Mine probably won't look anything like that, since this has crabs. But hopefully a cheap knockoff version of that would suffice and do ok.

I've also updated with pics. Tapatalk was being a pain and not letting me upload them, so I gave up and went to bed! Haha working fine now, so there's pics.

Edit: also need to go out and get some more zipties.... you run out of them very quickly and I haven't even put half of the background in yet...

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:46 pm

So cool! Still, even anything close to that will be amazing! I wish I had the creativity to do something like that! I guess I’d never know unless I tried. I can’t wait to see when your finished, it’s definitely going to be awesome!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:59 pm

I'm excited to see how this progresses. I always love to see how people do basically the same things differently. It helps me get more ideas too! The egg crate backdrop would be a great addition to all crabitats. I think it will be far superior to command hooks or suction cups for holding things in place semi permanently. Just zip tie everything in place and you're done! IF you have the zip ties of course! You almost always have to add zip ties twice to your shopping list! lol

I know I usually have at least one or two command hooks or suction cups fall off every few days. It gets to be a pain having to reclean, then reapply them all the time. I think the egg crate back would definitely make things more secure by zip tying everything to it.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Way to go aussieJJdude! I've been thinking about the light diffuser material since my last post! I'm going to the store tonight to get a sheet so I can upgrade my 10 gallon to a 20 tall experimenting with this method! I have several guys down so I have time to tinker with everything!

EDIT: I went to Lowes after work and got a 24" X 48" sheet of that stuff. They call it an egg crate light panel. It was $16.28 + Tax. I'm really digging this so far! I've been cutting it with a pair of heavy duty wire cutters, it cuts very easy with those! It's pretty much a larger, heavy duty version of the crafting mesh.

I'm opting to rely on the ledges, sides and substrate to keep the back against the back. Working with a 20 G Tall this stuff doesn't flex like the full piece. I consider myself a professional with zip ties. In my younger years before I could afford buying new dirt bike parts like new fenders and side panels I held on with zip ties! LOL! They also work great for fender stitches if you crack them. Drill holes every inch on both sides of the crack then zip tie away! To make it look cleaner hide the locking part on the bottom side where you can't see it!

I believe I am going to start by adding fish netting to all of the egg crate. I'll need to figure out how close to add the zip ties so someone doesn't think it will be fun to get stuck between the egg crate and netting! After that I'll attach the fake plants, wheel, and moss pit. Then add all the substrate. After the substrate, I'll place the water pools then add the cholla to the shelves and tweak everything as needed! I'm liking being able to add items before the substrate, such as the wheel. Measure 6" up from the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the wheel, then zip tie it in place! No more rowdy late night wheel riots for my guys! That's where they decide it's more fun knocking the wheel over that running on it!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:42 am

Thanks guys!

(And I saw your upgrade, Motörcrab, it looks amazing!)

Slight update, what I am waiting for Ebay purchases:
- pots (I had to go with a new seller, since I waited 2 weeks past the delivery date for the pots to arrive. Messaged them to let them know, they didn't even reply. Just gave me my money back, which I can't complain... So ordered from someone else - with better reviews! - so hopefully they should be here tomorrow, if not, early next week)
- a wheel - yes I got a wheel, its not really needed, and can build without... But be cool to have!
- some broms - they will get a 'quarantine before being added, which will happen regardless as they are going to arrive next week - since they weren't shipped out this week - way before the build is finished

Also waiting for my cut glass to arrive... There were some delays, which is a bit of a bummer... But they said that it should arrive by next week, so fingers crossed I guess.

Basically all I am waiting for is the pots to arrive, once they are in I can actually build - expanding foam/cement - the background. Hoping they were going to arrive today, but obviously not... But all fingers crossed that they will arrive tomorrow!

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:38 am

Well good thing is. Glass is in.

It's going to be a nice-ish salt water basin for the crabs to enjoy, since my crabs did enjoy going for dips when I did my built ins last time - quite a few years ago! Now that I have the straws, which are known for enjoy saltwater, i feel its more important than ever!

Its around 13cm (4 inch) deep, and there will be a ramp/retaining wall to get into the pool since the substrate will be around 20cm (8 inch) deep. I can't make it deeper due to the front glass/doors, and I really want a built in. The clarity when looking in is nice to have. In further updates you'll hopefully get what I mean!

The slightly bad thing is its slightly not parallel with the side. From the back, its roughly 14cm wide (under 6 inch) and at the front, roughly 16cm wide (over 6 inches)... doesn't look all that bad, unless you have OCD or happen to look for it. Consider it a cheats way to aquascape (crabscape?) and adding depth the lazy way?!
Image Image

The broms also arrived. So they currently in a very makeshift quarantine until tank is set up. Hopefully they'll do well in the meantime.

Now the bad news.

The plant pot seller forgot to actually send the pots. I got impatient while waiting for my case to close, that I ordered from elsewhere. So I now have a total of 150 - 200 plastic pots coming my way - about 10x more than I ever will need! *le sigh* Oh well, may just sell the rest or see how I can use them with my other hobbies.

The mouse wheel never made it through the mail, so that's lost as well... I'm currently in the process of getting another wheel from elsewhere, so hopefully that doesn't fall through... fingers crossed!
(If not, how hard can it be to DIY one?! Haha)