I guess its offical... an upgrade?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I guess its offical... an upgrade?

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Motörcrab wrote:Wow! That's insane! That turned out fan-freakin-tastic! Those water pools are incredible! I wish I knew more about creating balanced water ecosystems to keep everything in check. I'm sure that would take several months of quality research to attempt.

That set up is amazing I'm sure your crew will love it! It's unfortunate some of them did not get the chance to see it. I'm sure that was not any of your doing by any means.
Thank you so much!

Tbh, its my first time ever going marine. It's really exciting, and I have as much as a clue as you... I do have a small nano tank with a functioning marine LED - which was going to be used for the pool, but I scrapped that - and thinking of turning that into a proper reef aquarium.

I would encourage others to consider setting up a reef aquarium. The inverts are amazing, true the bristleworms give me the creeps... but they so interesting to watch!
Image Image

(The SW pool is becoming my favourite thing of the tank... good thing is if all crabs are down, I still have something to look at!)

(But in saying that, I do feel the cannibalism attack is to be avoided. I'm currently increasing the amount of protein offered, and also have a couple of protein mixes coming in for them to ensure they getting a good balance.)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:12 pm

Wow. This build is AMAZING. I have been wanting to upgrade my tat for a while and now i'm thinking that when I do this might be the route to go.

Couple of questions and sorry if this is a retread bc I'm just coming into this thread and it is long so I have only skimmed it but where is the freshwater pool? How many crabs do you plan on keeping in here? Are you just using the LED to light or are you using something else? What's your UTH situation like? How did you run the bubbler in? Did you have to make a hole or does the exoterra have a hole already you can use? Also, what are the temp/humidity stats so far? Do you have the lid seran wrapped? Are you gonna have a shell shop?

Please keep us updated with pics as the plants start to fill in! Also I would love to see pics of the whole thing w the crabs in it.

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:53 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Wow. This build is AMAZING. I have been wanting to upgrade my tat for a while and now i'm thinking that when I do this might be the route to go.

Couple of questions and sorry if this is a retread bc I'm just coming into this thread and it is long so I have only skimmed it but:
1. where is the freshwater pool?
2. How many crabs do you plan on keeping in here?
3. Are you just using the LED to light or are you using something else?
4. What's your UTH situation like?
5. How did you run the bubbler in?
6. Did you have to make a hole or does the exoterra have a hole already you can use?
7. Also, what are the temp/humidity stats so far?
8. Do you have the lid seran wrapped?
9. Are you gonna have a shell shop?

Please keep us updated with pics as the plants start to fill in! Also I would love to see pics of the whole thing w the crabs in it.
Thanks! As to the questions, I'm going to break them up a little bit to ensure I've answered all! (Nothing annoys me more than when you ask questions and you only get some answers back.)

1. Freshwater pool was not added when I took the pics - and in subsequent pics. Edit: I now have a small -visible on here! - dish of freshwater! Eventually - planning on the next couple of months - I plan to buy another tank and make that more of a jungle setup, and will also feature a nice freshwater pool.

2. For now, I plan on sticking on my 5. I have debated getting a straw or two for a species buddy, but I really want to see if my current straw at least pulls through his first moult before pulling the trigger. Once the v2 is completed, I may increase the colony slightly. But for now, 5.... I stock my tanks according to every square foot equates to one crab.

3. For now, just LED. I am going to add a UVB in the near future however.

4. Non- existent. I am using a CHE - ceramic heat emitter. I mentioned a few posts back on why I'm using a CHE, but mostly due to cost, efficiency and bills.

5. I just have it snaking down the side. I forgot to add the PVC pipe to hide cords with... *smack-forehead*

6. Exo-terra has holes on both sides with the larger models - only the small is one side. Here's a pic.
Image Image Image

7. I have a little crappy gauge that I haven't tested in a while, but its pretty accurate as it closely matches google and my outdoor gauge. With doors closed, the area above the pool tends to be around 26C (think like 77F?) And 75-80% humidity. Underneath the CHE, temp is set at 33C (85F I think?) And humidity is in the lower 70s. I do plan on adding my fogger back for supplemental humidity, particularly underneath the CHE.

8. Nope. Just plexiglass I cut. I measured wrong, so there is a but of overhang but its mostly cosmetic so Im not worried.

9. Just one on the floor. Plan to have around 8-12 shells in there, rotated weekly. Planning on keeping things pretty 'light' for shells, and swap them out. I've found that the 'less' you have in there - while it can increase aggression issues - and the more you rotate, the more likely they are to shell shop. Doing so, I hope to simulate the crabs somewhat by 'providing new' shells.

Here's some pics. Two of the little ones where out, and they have been exploring all day.
Image Image Image Image Image

Edit: and the pool.

Image Image

Last edited by aussieJJDude on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I forgot to upload freshwater pool pic!
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

RiNiKy506

I guess its offical... an upgrade?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Your bristleworms are pretty cool! You’ve definitely got my interest up on the reef aquariums. I absolutely love how you have that in there for your crabbies, it’s truly a touch of wildlife in there for them. Do you think the crabs will try and eat the bristleworms?

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«
Who♡Fearless♡Crimson♡LittleBit

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:07 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:Your bristleworms are pretty cool! You’ve definitely got my interest up on the reef aquariums. I absolutely love how you have that in there for your crabbies, it’s truly a touch of wildlife in there for them. Do you think the crabs will try and eat the bristleworms?

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«
Who♡Fearless♡Crimson♡LittleBit
Thanks! Yeah, the bristleworms are pretty fascinating, although a bit creepy to look at. Very much a look dont touch kinda animal - and if you do touch them, they release their fine 'bristles' on them which according to online forums is mildly toxic and mostly irritating... (I thankfully handled the live rock with aquascaping tweezers as I was too chicken to touch it with my bare hands).

I imagine if the crabs do come across them and hungry enough, then yes.

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 am

Oh my gosh, that is absolutely beautiful! I hope you are proud for waiting a long while and taking the time to perfect everything to allow it turn out like this! I think the crabs think they are back in the wild by how natural this tank looks!

Way to go aussieJJDude, you’ve reached master tank builder!
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:41 am

odelayheehoo wrote:Oh my gosh, that is absolutely beautiful! I hope you are proud for waiting a long while and taking the time to perfect everything to allow it turn out like this! I think the crabs think they are back in the wild by how natural this tank looks!

Way to go aussieJJDude, you’ve reached master tank builder!
Thank you! I'm certainly proud that its mostly done, still got a few last minute additions to add but its nothing really important.... haha

And ghee, thanks! ImageImageImage

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 am

I don't like the leave the floor in my tanks open, the crabs don't come out otherwise. I am planning on putting more things into the tank for them to do, just need to wait till the right time for redecorating comes around, probably summer :)

You have so much background there's no way they could become bored, it's very natural, hoping those live plants do well in this tank!
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 pm

I hope your plants establish well too. I am another that likes to leave open floor space as well so they have room to move around, and dig down accordingly.
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:20 pm

odelayheehoo wrote:I don't like the leave the floor in my tanks open, the crabs don't come out otherwise. I am planning on putting more things into the tank for them to do, just need to wait till the right time for redecorating comes around, probably summer :)

You have so much background there's no way they could become bored, it's very natural, hoping those live plants do well in this tank!
Yeah, I'm usually the same... and its cause I'm usually trying to cram eveything in. This time, its just going to be rather minimalist, where the plants on the back wall hopefully end up taking the focal point of this crabitat.

The crabs honestly dont seem to mind, and still rather active.
angelbearpuppy wrote:I hope your plants establish well too. I am another that likes to leave open floor space as well so they have room to move around, and dig down accordingly.
Same here - otherwise, there's a lot of money wasted on the plants! :hlol: jokes aside, It be nice to have crabs growing in the same tank with plants, to make our little tanks a little more interesting when its pet sand.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:50 pm

This is so amazing to look at. Every time you look at the pictures you see something new that catches your eye.

I think when the weather gets nicer here I may experiment with the foam insulation and cement and try and make removable corner climbs and shelves. Is it concrete or cement that is better to use again? Also was it any special types you used or just go to a home improvement store and by a 22 kg (50 pound) bag?

I can see your task today is answering 500 questions! I appoligize for adding a few more.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Motörcrab wrote:This is so amazing to look at. Every time you look at the pictures you see something new that catches your eye.

I think when the weather gets nicer here I may experiment with the foam insulation and cement and try and make removable corner climbs and shelves. Is it concrete or cement that is better to use again? Also was it any special types you used or just go to a home improvement store and by a 22 kg (50 pound) bag?

I can see your task today is answering 500 questions! I appoligize for adding a few more.
Haha, yeah. I find the same myself. But I don't know how much of that is the 'new tank feeling'.

I really think you could. If you make like a eggcrate corner unit, and then foam it I do think it would work and be removable. Just some cardboard to the sides where you want the corner to be, to help keep the shape of the tank so it sits flush to the wall... and you have yourself a winner. :)

I used concrete, but you can just use cement. Its a lot easier to apply the watery layer with just pure cement, without gravel mixed in... but the gravel does help create texture, which could always be added toward the end - or sprinkled on top with the cement is still curing.
So its really up to you - if its me, I think I'll go with cement since the application is a lot easier... and I can always add my own amount of gravel to the mix.

I just went to the hardware store and purchased a bag. I tried to avoid anything with additional fillers, or special features - like quick drying - as I was a little too paranoid that something not so crabby safe would be mixed in.
For me, the expanding foam is a little more of a concern since a lot of products can have stuff mixed in. I know in the US, you can get pond foam, which if I had the option to purchase in Aus, I would of gotten. If you can get pond foam - which is exactly the same as expanding foam, just black - try to get just a simple expanding foam. Dendraboard would have a few good articles and links of what products to look out for.

I really dont mind the questions, and enjoy firing away! Im honored that a good number of people out there is as interested in my build as I am... and I'm not talking to myself on the matter! ^_^

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:56 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:27 pm

I really think you could. If you make like a eggcrate corner unit, and then foam it I do think it would work and be removable. Just some cardboard to the sides where you want the corner to be, to help keep the shape of the tank so it sits flush to the wall... and you have yourself a winner. :)

That's exactly the approach I was thinking about going.

I'm thinking by doing corners and maybe something in the center it won't hinder the preformance of the UTH.

There are some pretty cool rock formations you can get at pet stores but they are so expensive and usually either just too big or small. This way you can build exactly what you want or at least up to what your artistic ability will allow!

I will definitely look into some pond foam. That is always the toughest figuring out quantities. I use spray foam a lot working on the haunted house. It makes great brains, guts, and toxic waste when painted!

I have a few more weeks to come up with a few different ideas. I'll plan on doing something simple and by the time I'm done it somehow turned into a full blown project.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:52 am

The bowl above the salt water pool.... What is that used for? Also, how is it attached? I see two knob looking objects on the outside... Is it magnetic? If so, how has that held up compared to suction cups? Is it sturdy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:37 pm

ciaraalston wrote:The bowl above the salt water pool.... What is that used for? Also, how is it attached? I see two knob looking objects on the outside... Is it magnetic? If so, how has that held up compared to suction cups? Is it sturdy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
This?

It's my humidity and temp gauge holder. It's a magnatural that I got a few years back I believe, and yes. Its magnetic. I find it that same sturdiness as a good quality suction cup shower caddy, without the worry that the caddy is going to fail.

And small update of the SW pool. Replaced the airstone with a 'small' powerhead, which has some settings (its carefully tucked in the back cave to hide it somewhat). I've got it on random, where it will pulse throughout the day - or flow from low to high - and at night just flows on the lowest setting. So far, the live rock have been loving the increased flow and noticed a serious reduction in cloudiness.

Image Image Image