Are these good products?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Huckleberry

Are these good products?

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:23 am

I am planning to upgrade my tank a bit, but I wanted to ask here before buying anything. Do y'all know anything about these products? I want to make sure my crabbies are safe.

1. Bubbler supplies - here's what I'm planning to use for a bubbler:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FZY71K6/?c ... _lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTSR8Y8/?c ... _lig_dp_it
2. Tiny filter - it looks cute but would it be good for water dishes?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000634IYU/?c ... _lig_dp_it
3. New heat and lighting stuff
Only 2 reviews but it seems to have good design: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D58KL8D/?c ... _lig_dp_it
Heat bulb? Would this be good for my hermies at night? : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079254FFP/?c ... _lig_dp_it
Day bulb, it's pricey, is it worth it? : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CRJXJZ4/?c ... _lig_dp_it
Would this lamp work for the lights above? : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OS0SB8/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Thank you! Any suggestions of better products would be great! Hopefully I put this in the right place.
Proud crabber since 2009! I am so glad I found this site, I have learned so much about hermit crabs since joining. They are so much happier and healthier now! Thank you HCA!

ciaraalston

Re: Are these good products?

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:35 am

The bubbler supplies are fine, everything you need is there.
Why are you adding a filter to the pools? how big will they be? if you're just going to use tupperware containers, adding the bubblers and doing a water change once or twice a week would be plenty, IMO..
The heat lamp might zap some humidity, have you considered ultratherms or heat tape?
I can't really comment on the lights or stands, i haven't added any on mine yet.
congrats on the upgrade!!!! :) What are you upgrading to, if you don't mind me asking?
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:47 am

Oh heh I'm not actually getting a bigger tank - I worded that a bit weird oops :3
I did get a bigger tank pretty recently though, and I had not gotten bigger water dishes. I mean, they work fine for my crabbies, but I think they could benefit from more water crawlspace. I'm not super how big the dishes would be, but right now they are a hassle to remove from my tank every few days for replacing. I don't like to disturb my crabbies too often, especially since they could be molting under a dish. Do you happen to know a minimum size for water dishes that a filter would be good for? Also thanks for the suggestion on heat tape and stuff- I do have some sticky tape heater thingies, as well as a night and day light, but the air is still a bit colder than I'd like. Since getting a bigger tank i have been struggling to find the right wattage for my tank size. Also, the lights I buy usually burn out really fast. :( I'm hoping that pricier lights will work much better. I think if I add the bubblers then It would balance the heat lamps out nicely. Anyway, thanks! I'm real exited about the bubblers - I've never had them before.
Proud crabber since 2009! I am so glad I found this site, I have learned so much about hermit crabs since joining. They are so much happier and healthier now! Thank you HCA!

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:51 am

Upgrade or not, setting up a new tank or redecorating is always super exciting for me! Lol
I'm having the same issue with my 55 gallon, i have heat tape AND an ultratherm but the temp still isn't where i would like it to be. I'm moving them into totes this week anyway, hopefully that will hold my heat better.
I'll let a professional chime in about the supplies, i stick to the basics so i can't give any decent advice. haha The bubblers in pools are my favourite part though! When i finally added them, it changed my tank and humidity completely.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:31 am

Redecorating is always a highlight! : )
I'm definitely hoping my humidity can stay more constant with the bubblers, because I won't be around to mist the tank every now and then during school hours...I'm very obsessive with checking the humidity and temp on the weekends though lol! I'm also thinking of getting a home camera like Wyze. It makes me sad that I miss out on so many crabbie antics, and I'd love to be able to view their night activity. ^u^

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Skip the day bulb unless you need a ton of heat. Mercury bulbs are for spot basking for reptiles and get HOT in one single location. They don't spread heat evenly.

For ceramic heat emitters, a wire cage type fixture is recommended since they get so stinking hot. They can in theory overheat in a regular domed fixture. They also tend to not spread heat evenly but are better at it than mercuries.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Oh thanks! Those probably won't be good for my tank then. Do you maybe have a recommended brand? The ones I buy keep breaking. : (

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:31 pm

Ceramics are less likely to break, but they do get hot enough to burn. The constantly burnt out light bulbs is what made we switch to a UTH.

Topic author
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:40 pm

Yeah I have some UTHs, but just today a moderator on the Land Hermit Crab Owner Association said that those are dangerous for my crabbies? I trust this site way more though, and I know lots of crab owners use them.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:28 pm

Huckleberry wrote:Yeah I have some UTHs, but just today a moderator on the Land Hermit Crab Owner Association said that those are dangerous for my crabbies? I trust this site way more though, and I know lots of crab owners use them.
They're only dangerous if they're put under the tank. Which we don't do.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:31 pm

oh okay good! I have mine on the sides.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:31 pm

Yeah, it needs to go on the back of the tank. Ultrarherms are considered the best, although I really like Flukers. You want to ignore the gallons on the package and go with one that fits the back of your tank from side to side. Most people can get away with one that reaches to the substrate, but if you have a really cold house (me!) you may need one that covers the entire back.

Topic author
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:13 pm

I have three small ones on the back, mostly covering it. Should I upgrade to a large one? They seem to be keeping the temperature good. Sorry for all the questions! This is my last one. Thank you for the help!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:46 pm

Oh! I thought you were looking at heat lamps because you needed more heat. The lights you linked to would have made them roasty-toasty all on their own. They would seriously overheat a tank if you're already at temp.

If you just want light during the day to watch them you can go really simple. An LED light bar or clamp on light. Or a household bulb in a reptile or hardware store clamp lamp. You could get something nice for $15-$20 if you need to use Amazon!

Topic author
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:45 pm

Well, I have lights as well as low power heaters, but I am hoping to switch to just a heat lamp and maybe also a light for viewing. I just have so many cords running from my tank, and I'm hoping to add a bubbler. Also the heaters don't look super nice on the back of the tank. I'm just trying to find something simple and relatively inexpensive that will keep my hermies at a consistent temp.
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/starter-k ... 29698.html I think this is my tank? I got it at a nice price awhile back. I'm still struggling to figure out the right wattage to keep my tank at a good temp.