Talk to me about Wyze cams!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Talk to me about Wyze cams!

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:58 am

Which model do you like the best? Where was the best price?

I think I talked Hubby into getting at least one. Not completely for the hermit cats, but for our zoo in general. There are times it would nice to set a camera up to see what goes on when we aren't around. Everyone here raves about the Wyze so much that I don't want him spending a fortune on other brands!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermiesguardian

Re: Talk to me about Wyze cams!

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:09 pm

If you want to set it up to watch the general area, get the Cam Pan. It rotates. I have thst one. But to watch the crabbies, get the regular WyzeCam. They're coming out soon with an outdoor one which I think will handle the conditions in the tank better. I also use a different camera. 360 Home Security Camera Wireless . That's a good one too. Actually I think it's easier to place and angle.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:12 pm

I have four now, my original I bought on Amazon prime for $25.00, then I bought three more of the special edition black ones for $20.00/piece on the Black Friday. (I’m rounding prices up a few cents, I can’t remember exact prices) The cheapest way is to definitely buy through the wyze website. You can also get the 32gb cards directly from wyze ready to use in the cameras for $10, you don’t need the card unless you want to watch playback and be able to look back on anything. I have the regular ones that don’t pan and tilt, although thinking about getting one for the front door at the new house. I love them, for the crabs, for watching the kids, and for front door security. I wish I would have known about them before I spent $150 on a baby video monitor setup that I don’t even use now bc of the wyze cams. They’re very easy to setup also, we’ve had a few other types of cameras, which are now very outdated so I don’t know if I should really use them for a comparison. I feel like they’re way better than the other systems we’ve had and you really can’t beat that price. Then being able to access and view them from anywhere with no monthly fees is great. I am 100% in love with them.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:27 pm

I went with the one for $19.99. you can zoom in to any portion of the video like you would do with a picture on your phone. You won't be able to move the cam to see what anyone is doing out of that area unless you get the one with a pan for $29.99.

I pulled micro SD cards out of old phones I had so I can record and view things later. You don't really need the SD cards to just see the cam live. It's nice to have the playback though. That's how I caught the shell fight.

I mount mine to the glass tops with a little Velcro. That way I can easily move them around instead of having them inside the tank.
I have two cams mounted on my 75 G. Depending on how I set them on the lid I can view just about all of the tank with them.

Here's the unboxing I did of the standard cam when we got them.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 9&t=118978
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:28 pm

Do you have to pull the memory card out and use a separate card reader, or can you access it remotely? We definately want it for playback, not so much real-time viewing.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:46 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:28 pm
Do you have to pull the memory card out and use a separate card reader, or can you access it remotely? We definately want it for playback, not so much real-time viewing.

You access it remotely through your phone or computer.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:56 pm

In the phone app you can switch between the live cam and play back with the push of a button. The playback takes a few moments to load.

From there you can record video clips or take screenshots. It's pretty easy once you play around with it.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:31 am

We have the basic box models. We love them!!! They dont rotate, but we were able to add one in the top corner of our animal room so we can see the entire room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:25 pm

Do you get a time readout on the playback option so you can record what time particular events happen?
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:29 am

I still haven't had a chance to play with it. Hubby uses it for the cats, and to watch for the pizza guy so he can play WOT until the last possible moment. 😂

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:56 am

Renroc wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:25 pm
Do you get a time readout on the playback option so you can record what time particular events happen?
Yes.

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:13 pm

Yaaah thanks
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:21 pm

I had my cam for about a year until i realized there's a time lapse! You can set it for how often it takes a picture and when to start and stop recording. There is nothing better than watching a hyperactive crab running on a wheel! It's now my favorite feature!
https://youtu.be/_DaYGpxKDw8

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:11 pm

That is hysterical to watch motor!! Love that.

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!

Links

Post by Links » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:37 am

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wireless-Min ... /774355531

I’ve been looking at the WYZE cams for a while now I even had the 2 pack in my cart on Amazon but I decided to get the one above. I hope I don’t regret my decision but it is labeled as outdoor so hopefully it will hold up to the humidity.

I’m also curious about the one below does anyone here have any experience with these types of cameras

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wireless-Off ... /220957176