Wooden 2nd Level Struggles

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:07 pm

So I'm still turning a 36 gallon aquarium into a crabitat. I'm pretty close to finishing, however I'm trying to put in a large second level, which is a large piece of wood. I'm just wanting to confirm that the two part epoxy coat that I'm using is safe, and I also want to know what kind of wood coats people use here. I should have posted this earlier, as I have already coated the wood and realized that I probably need another coat to secure everything. If there's anything wrong with it, (It'd be tough but) I can get the coat off, since I'm still waiting for it to cure. It has been five days of it drying, and since my temperature is a bit lower than the recommended temperature, it'll take longer to fully cure. If it's safe I'm planning on coating the rest of the wood then letting it cure for another week or two. I really want this to be crab safe. I'll be as patient as the wood requires.
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

Overmountain1

Re: Wooden 2nd Level Struggles

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi! My husband works with these sorts of materials all the time, so I may know enough to help you out here.
What I would need to know would be some more specifics- what type, what brand, etc.
I’ll have my hubbs double check me on this too. His knowledge base of this stuff is pretty extensive. (We run a shop/business based in part on products like this.) so, if you can get me as many specifics as possible I will see what I can potentially find out about short and long term toxins. Otherwise, as long as everything is fully set and dried, with zero fumes, that part you already know though! Thanks, hope I can help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:07 pm

Whoops! I completely forgot to paste the link! 🤦‍♂️ This is what I bought, and I forgot to mention we made a second piece of identical wood, so I can easily start over. I just read over the manual again (for the billionth time) and actually read a sentence saying "NOT RECOMMENDED for projects that will be placed in direct sunlight for extended periods of time." This is crucial to the project, and as it is a second level, it will certainly be in contact with my heating (UVA/UVB) rays coming from the lamp. Anyways, I am so grateful for whatever help you can provide.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FAMOWOOD-1- ... /301826159

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:57 pm

Ok- I have a good and complete answer already but will take me a few to get together...

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:56 pm

Alright here goes! (I’m linking this here so the info will be easily accessible as concerns ingredients)
Care: Unsafe and Unpopular Food List
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
My gut initially says no, the type you do have isn’t completely safe in that the crabs do love to tear things up and potentially could ingest some of the treatment- maybe not tomorrow or next week, but we all know they can be persistent! So- I dont have a good and super specific answer about that particular treatment, (I’m sorry, I’m still searching...) but we do have some alternatives that should work as well- or better. ***If I list anything here that someone else knows has anything harmful to crabs please do chime in. I would also recommend cross checking anything’s ingredient list with the unsafe list(s) available here. What I’m going to do is copy/paste my husbands responses, and will edit it needed.
“Yeah, there are several types of sealant designed for wood boats that don't leach into the water etc. Safe for marine life. I would assume that would be better than any compound epoxy. Or use a natural wood stabilizer that bakes to set. That would be the ideal way to treat the wood.”
“Cactus Juice is a great brand. Then there ar several Pemtacryl based types. Once baked, they're basically a woodplastic.”
“If you don't want to harden, this is basically the list of stuff we use on knives that have wood that doesn't need stabilizing. Tung oil, linseed, etc.”

Additionally, there are several types of wood that don’t need stabilizing, or even treatment, such as cocabola (spelling?) but I’d have to crosscheck that with the list also- you get the idea there anyway. My best answer for this is not a hard no, but only that there are other products that would/could be better, and safer alternatives.

Here is also a link to that last he was talking about, the ones needing no baking or whatnot. The link is for non-toxic wood preservers. And again I’m going to be clear here that I have NOT had the opportunity to cross check ingredients lists with safe/unsafe lists but I do know these to be potentially much safer and better options. And to make wood look great too! Lol
I hope that helps. If you have any additional questions we can help with re: these things, I’m pretty sure we can answer them!
Let me reiterate one last time, bc I don’t want anything happening to anyone’s crabs due to something I missed, that I cannot guarantee my/our response 100% at this time. Please do cross-check any product that does catch your eye, and find out anything else you can about it. Some may have oils that disagree with our crabs- or not- but do crosscheck anything you would like to use with the unsafe list.
We will be treating some various wood with some of our various treatments, and I am going to test the physical durability of the woods when buried in damp sand indefinitely. I cannot necc year for the leeching but they’re made to guard against that anyway.
Sorry for the long post, but I didn’t want to miss anything I wanted to say! It was all relevant, and I truly hope this helps anyone in their building!

http://microfarmgardens.com/blog/2015/1 ... tives.html

Topic author
LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Ok. I think we're going to try boiled linseed oil to coat the wood. I'm hoping it doesn't attract mold, or at least doesn't grow as much mold as bare wood would. I think we'll also put it some springtails, just to try to prevent any mold caused by decomposing food that I fail to spot clean. Thanks so much for the info!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:48 pm

Absolutely! Best of luck to you, and maybe the info can be helpful to others as well.

PS- if you can get them on here, I’d love to see pics of the finished project!

Topic author
LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:21 pm

Sure thing! Should be done by the end of the week.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:44 pm

What I would do is use something natural that is pesticide free and also on the safe foods list. You can either find it outside or buy online.

We made a nice 2nd level out of a piece of ZooMeds cork background and Flukers bamboo tension rods.

I would not put any types of sealant on any wood inside my tank. Crabs will eventually wear it off and may possibly try eating it. It would be best to try and avoid anything similar.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:24 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:44 pm
What I would do is use something natural that is pesticide free and also on the safe foods list. You can either find it outside or buy online.

We made a nice 2nd level out of a piece of ZooMeds cork background and Flukers bamboo tension rods.

I would not put any types of sealant on any wood inside my tank. Crabs will eventually wear it off and may possibly try eating it. It would be best to try and avoid anything similar.
Linseed oil is on the safe food list. I am using boiled linseed oil to prevent mold, but just in case, I will spray it with a salt/vinegar solution to prevent any mold? Still not sure about that part.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:25 pm

From what I’ve read the salt water prevents mold all on its own, and with the linseed oil embedded it should be great! GL!