Hamster wheel won't turn? I have a pic of it, any ideas.

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

LeeHasCrabs

Re: Hamster wheel won't turn? I have a pic of it, any ideas.

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:50 pm

purplepincher wrote:what are some other toys i can get them? all i see is wheels, but i know they like other stuff...
I made this teeter totter (right side). They haven’t really teeter tottered it together but they usually climb up the support in the middle then crawl one way and it then goes down because of weight. The other night one was going back and forth on it. I need to grab the video of that lol.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:33 pm

good idea!
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:37 pm

FSkerlak wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:57 am
Hello again, so I'm now wondering if I have a dangerous toy... I've been trying to attach videos but I can't. They crawl upside down at the top of the wheel, and then climb over the lip to sit on top of the whole thing and then they walk around. Unfortunately they have been falling off the back! It's still not turning and It's a about an 8.5 inch drop so I'm worried they are going to hurt themselves or worse. I think if I mesh around the outside of the wheel that may stop them from falling off, but will that stop the wheel from ever turning? I can't hang it upside down because I don't have the room, and it does spin when I spin it but they are climbing all over it so they seem to love it. Here's a few pics of lollypop on it. Should I mesh the outside or any other ideas? Or just wait longer, but I'm nervous that they are gonna hurt themselves. ImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Your crab is super tiny! He may not be heavy enough to spin it on his own. Do you have the smallest size wheel? Possibly a smaller wheel will require less weight for him to spin it?

As for falling off the wheel. Our crabs fall off it all the time! They also climb on the top and go upside down, and knock the wheel over on pretty much a weekly basis. I often thought about adding mesh to the outside of the wheel too. I think it would help them grip so they don't slide off. It won't prevent them from being clumsy though! I don't think you have to worry about him falling.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:46 pm

Like Motörcrab said I don’t think you need to worry about them falling off. I didn’t even have a wheel and they kept climbing to the top of their plastic trees and second level moss pit and they’d just fall. I figure they wouldn’t keep doing it if it really hurt them. But they’d just crawl back up and do it over again and again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:49 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:29 pm
It looks like it's sitting on the ground. Maybe it's the angle of the picture. Here's a pic of mine. I have it hanging "upside down" a couple of inches above the ground.Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hi, how do you get the axel of your wheel to stick to the glass like that?
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:49 am

they will jump off of trees in the wild to get down quicker so do not worry.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:42 am

We use command hooks and suction cups to hang the wheels upside down. I am hit and miss with the command hooks. Sometimes they stick great, other times they just fall off. I always clean the glass really good with some apple cider vinegar then rinse with dechlorinated water and dry really well with paper towels.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:43 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:42 am
We use command hooks and suction cups to hang the wheels upside down. I am hit and miss with the command hooks. Sometimes they stick great, other times they just fall off. I always clean the glass really good with some apple cider vinegar then rinse with dechlorinated water and dry really well with paper towels.
Thanks!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Oliviet#1 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:49 am
Hi, how do you get the axel of your wheel to stick to the glass like that?
Command hooks. Every now and then they come off so I just replace it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:49 pm
Command hooks. Every now and then they come off so I just replace it.
Thank you. 👍🏻

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Awesome, thank you for the responses! I'm gonna leave it in because they love it!