Hamster wheel won't turn? I have a pic of it, any ideas.

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hamster wheel won't turn? I have a pic of it, any ideas.

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:08 pm

The wheel looks great to me!! Sometimes mine get REALLY bogged down from sand due to a lot of use, but that doesn't look like your issue at all :) Just give it time! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:21 pm

They were all over it the first night lol but it only turned a little bit at one point. I'll give it some time. Thank you everyone!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:30 pm

I thought I replied to this already...but my post isn't showing. Mine get bogged down with sand a lot, but that is from all of the use they get. Yours look great. I personally prefer the Kaytee Silent Spinners. I feel like they are a little lighter, but they are more expensive than this brand.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:31 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I thought I replied to this already...but my post isn't showing. Mine get bogged down with sand a lot, but that is from all of the use they get. Yours look great. I personally prefer the Kaytee Silent Spinners. I feel like they are a little lighter, but they are more expensive than this brand.
Yes you did, you have two posts now. Mine does that too sometimes, it won’t show the post I had made.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«
Who♡Fearless♡Crimson♡LittleBit

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:34 pm

Weird! I think it also might have also been bc it had two pages. IDK!
@FSkeriak - were there more than one on it trying to go different directions?

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:38 pm

No i didn't see the post about the silent spinners. I'll check those out and get one if this doesn't get better in a few weeks. No only one was on it at a time last night. Thanks again!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:52 pm

Hermit crabs are pretty strong, so they should be able to turn it regardless of size. Is there anyway for you to try to hang it upside down?

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:08 pm

I could use those command hooks, but I heard good and bad about them in the humidity. Thoughts on those?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:19 pm

I use command hooks all of the time. :) So what I do is I purchase the velcro command stuff for hanging pictures, and then the command hooks and use the velcro with them instead of the sticky stuff :) I hope I explained that okay!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:21 pm

I can’t see the wheel stand in the picture, I’m not sure if it’s the angle like others have said. Is it pushed too far into the sand? Here is mine when it was new.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Make sure area is very clean before applying. I only wipe with dry paper towel. no cleaners. stick command hook. - apply pressure for 1 minute. don't hank anything for 5 minutes :)

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:57 am

Hello again, so I'm now wondering if I have a dangerous toy... I've been trying to attach videos but I can't. They crawl upside down at the top of the wheel, and then climb over the lip to sit on top of the whole thing and then they walk around. Unfortunately they have been falling off the back! It's still not turning and It's a about an 8.5 inch drop so I'm worried they are going to hurt themselves or worse. I think if I mesh around the outside of the wheel that may stop them from falling off, but will that stop the wheel from ever turning? I can't hang it upside down because I don't have the room, and it does spin when I spin it but they are climbing all over it so they seem to love it. Here's a few pics of lollypop on it. Should I mesh the outside or any other ideas? Or just wait longer, but I'm nervous that they are gonna hurt themselves. ImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Hamster wheel won't turn? I have a pic of it, any ideas.

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:52 pm

I think you might have it pushed too far down into the sand that’s why it’s not spinning easily when they’re on it, or maybe something inside of the wheel itself is defective, it should spin as they’re trying to get on top of it. When mine crawl on top, it spins with them so they can’t really get on top of it unless there is someone else on the wheel or they’re going opposite directions. Then a lot of times, one will go one way, then send the other one flying off the top of it. I think they’ll be ok though, in the wild they fall off of a lot worse things, I’m sure. My crew get pretty rough on the wheel, my little “Who” seems to enjoy whipping around the wheel, he does it quite often, or he takes rides around upside down as the others are walking.
To post a video, upload to YouTube and then share link.
https://youtu.be/-8p03RgDubA

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:42 pm

what are some other toys i can get them? all i see is wheels, but i know they like other stuff...
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:46 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:I can’t see the wheel stand in the picture, I’m not sure if it’s the angle like others have said. Is it pushed too far into the sand? Here is mine when it was new.

I made the same. Green spinner with black mesh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk