Is this safe for hermit crabs?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Is this safe for hermit crabs?

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:15 pm

:crabblush: I :? Hi, I am soon going to be a hermit crab parent. I got a twenty gallon tank (low), and I got an Imagitarium lid for a fifteen gallon or a 20 high that looks as if made with metal. Does anyone know if it is made of metal or plastic, and whichever one it is, if it is safe? So basically my overall question is is a metal lid safe for hermit crabs?
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is this safe for hermit crabs?

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:36 pm

Hello! A lot of crabbers use that type of top for their hermies. I personally prefer glass lids because I feel like they hold the humidity in a lot better. You can certainly use that type of top though. All you would need to do is cover it with press-n-seal, or plastic wrap to keep the humidity in.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:05 pm

Thanks, (btw I meant a high tank) when I finish setting up my tank I will see if the humidity is is low or not (I live in Florida and it is pretty humid) and if it isn’t I will probably follow one of your ideas. Just one more question if I do cover the top with press-n-seal or plastic wrap, how will the hermit crabs breathe? Thanks for the quick answer!💕

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:27 pm

You're very welcome. I also live in Florida. Although we have high humidity, I recommend 80 or higher for active crabs.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:21 pm

Oliviet#1 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:05 pm
Thanks, (btw I meant a high tank) when I finish setting up my tank I will see if the humidity is is low or not (I live in Florida and it is pretty humid) and if it isn’t I will probably follow one of your ideas. Just one more question if I do cover the top with press-n-seal or plastic wrap, how will the hermit crabs breathe? Thanks for the quick answer!💕
They get enough air when you feed them every couple of days. I taped down plexiglass on my mesh lid.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:05 pm

I guess that makes sense 😊. Thanks!

Dimezza123

Post by Dimezza123 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:59 pm

What does the Relative humidity need to be in a crabitat? And what does the real humidity need to be?

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Dimezza123 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:59 pm
What does the Relative humidity need to be in a crabitat? And what does the real humidity need to be?
The humidity needs to be at least 75% in your crabitat, but it is much better for your crabs to have it around 80%. Hope this helps!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Dimezza123

Post by Dimezza123 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:10 pm

Is that for
Last edited by Dimezza123 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dimezza123

Post by Dimezza123 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Oliviet#1 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:04 pm
The humidity needs to be at least 75% in your crabitat, but it is much better for your crabs to have it around 80%. Hope this helps!
Is that for real or relative humidity? I’m so confused on the two. I keep seeing relative humidity should be 75-90 but then I see actual humidity should be 70-80 and I don’t really understand the difference and idk how I could make both of those ranges work

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Dimezza123 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:10 pm
Is that for real or relative humidity? I’m so confused on the two. I keep seeing relative humidity should be 75-90 but then I see actual humidity should be 70-80 and I don’t really understand the difference and idk how I could make both of those ranges work
Do you know what breed of hermit crabs you have or are getting?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Dimezza123 wrote: Is that for real or relative humidity? I’m so confused on the two. I keep seeing relative humidity should be 75-90 but then I see actual humidity should be 70-80 and I don’t really understand the difference and idk how I could make both of those ranges work
Those ranges are both relative humidity. The exact range is going to vary based on who you ask, but generally you want to be above 70%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Relative is what most of us crabbers tend to use, which is around 70% + (most strive for around 80%)

Actual humdity tends to be lower, usually around 60-70%.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies