Hamster wheel?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Hamster wheel?

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:26 pm

I have a 20 gallon tank and I was thinking of getting a hamster wheel. Im not sure which kind to get though. I don’t want to have to zip tie mesh to any of them so if anyone knows any good brands where you don’t need to add anything please let me know. If you know where you got it please give a link or tell me the website, brand, and what to search. Thank you!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Re: Hamster wheel?

Post by Oliviet#1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:38 am

Here is a picture of one I’m wondering is ok
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0dGWZuqDPywKVl
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:55 pm

From what I've read crabbies love hamster wheels! I'm not sure if there's any kind that you don't have to add any mesh to, but the metal ones like in the picture are not safe because the crabs can get their legs stuck and snapped off. Most people use a Kaytee Silent Spinner. I hope someone else knows of any that don't have to be modified!
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:11 pm

Agreed, a wheel like the one in the picture is dangerous. I have seen wheels that are ribbed on the inside, that would probably do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:29 pm

Thank you, what exactly do you mean by ribbed

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:06 pm

Like this oneImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:38 pm

I have two like that and the one I have in my iso tank, I have not modified. They can use it but when they get a little bigger you might have to modify it bc their leg span will get wider. It will work though.

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:05 am

Ok thanks 👍🏼

GUANC8

Post by GUANC8 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:43 am

I have one of those, but I put craft mesh in it so they wouldn't break off limbs. Is that ok?
Hadras, Strawberry, Rak Otshel'nik, Surf, Turf, Delilah, Popeye, unnamed, unnamed, unnamed
[b][u][color=#BF0000]Join me, fellow crab owners, for us and our crabs shall rule the world![/color][/u][/b]
:crabbigsmile: :lol:

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:11 am

GUANC8 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:43 am
I have one of those, but I put craft mesh in it so they wouldn't break off limbs. Is that ok?
Perfect!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:40 am

I got the all living things weel from petsmart and one of the crabs loves it! it has a lot of sand on the inside from being used so much lol!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:03 am

Oliviet#1 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:38 am
Here is a picture of one I’m wondering is ok
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0dGWZuqDPywKVl
I would not use a wheel like this. The plastic wheels are much safer.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:41 am

I got the small plastic wheel with ridges :)