SURVEY! SHELLS

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
ciaraalston

SURVEY! SHELLS

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:36 pm

Quick survey! Which do you prefer... shells on the surface or in a shop? I've always had both, but shells on the surface bug me because they're half buried and I'm certain that theres some completely buried that are lost forever
What's yalls experience on this!??

***I've been extremely quiet, and I'm sorry! But I'm revamping the 80 and I promise I'll jump back in here soon!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Overmountain1

Re: SURVEY! SHELLS

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:16 pm

I do a little of both; I have the shop where 95% of the shells stay (well.... mostly lol) but I do leave one each of the various sizes of my crabs on the ground, in case of an attack or anything- I’m paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:05 pm

Nice to see you back! wondering where you had gone :) Personally I leave them all on the surface. I actually keep a note in my phone where I count and document my shells monthly to make sure the crabs don't bury them to the bottom of the tank
8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:42 pm

I started making second levels out of egg crate for shells and some foods. My guys in Crabbyland seem to enjoy the elevated shell shop. They are are smaller purples with openings 1" or smaller. In the 75 on the other hand don't seem to use the second level as much. They are all resurfacing from molts so that may be a factor.

Last night I cleaned all the shells with saltwater for both tanks. I believe 2 out of 4 that are up in Crabbyland changed pants. I don't think anyone in the 75 took notice to the cleaned shells.

As for my preference. I like them on the second level. It makes it easier to pull the shells out to clean.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:11 pm

Shop. The shine can get removed quickly when on substrate or moss, and I like mine to look as new as possible for as long as possible.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Meg'sAussieCrabitat

Post by Meg'sAussieCrabitat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:05 am

I have 1/2 a ceramic flower pot that sits on the substrate, and I use that as a bit of a shell shop. I tried elevated, but it wasn't popular. The ceramic pot is the current favourite sleeping spot right now, so that's a bit of a bonus! :) I suppose they like the heat it'd hold!

5th year of crabbing with my 6 Aussies; Lily, Cocoa, Belladonna, Acorn, and Mango in a 65-gallon crabitat.
Also an owner of beautiful Sussex chickens; Adelaide, and Marshmallow, and my cat, Bluebell.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:10 am

Thanks y'all!! I did a little of both since I have so many shells. The shell shop is elevated a bit and I added the smaller shells there and on the surface I tossed the larger shells. Within 5 minutes all 3 of my big crabs were shell shopping!

I didnt do much to the tank, just moved q few items around and changed their water bowls. We used aquarium mats around the inside of the bowls instead of craft mesh. It looks cool but of course once it gets dirty I'll have to clean it and see if I want to keep it. Lol.

I was cleaning the area where the shells were and I realized that my guys were up there way more than I realized because... POOP! ImageImage

Heres a couple pics!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:01 pm

Awesome! I think it looks great! I LOVE that big wood piece on the right side- the log basically- it is so perfect! Everything else looks great too- can’t wait to get mine set up finally!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:11 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:42 pm
I started making second levels out of egg crate for shells and some foods. My guys in Crabbyland seem to enjoy the elevated shell shop. They are are smaller purples with openings 1" or smaller. In the 75 on the other hand don't seem to use the second level as much. They are all resurfacing from molts so that may be a factor.

Last night I cleaned all the shells with saltwater for both tanks. I believe 2 out of 4 that are up in Crabbyland changed pants. I don't think anyone in the 75 took notice to the cleaned shells.

As for my preference. I like them on the second level. It makes it easier to pull the shells out to clean.
It's awesome that you made a Crabbyland! When I first saw it I sat there in total awe and just took it all in, ha!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:39 am

I prefer the look of shells naturally scattered along the surface. I just like the look better. But unfortunately, I don't care for the shells getting lost underneath the substrate, so in the end, I typically prefer using a "shop".
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:52 pm

Aww such cute little crabbies! Awesome crabitat btw! :banana:
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:45 pm

I have a little of both also, I like them up bc they stay a little cleaner longer but with so many different sized crabs in such a big tank, it’s like the tank is full of shells! Lol! Then of course sand and they get buried. I thought about putting them in my pools, I wonder if anyone else has done that. They’d stay clean! Haha!
Your tank looks great! I love your water bowls with the plants! How is Sebastian doing!? I will never forget him because he was one the first hermit crabs that I read about with his time in isolation. I can’t remember exactly what happened but I always remember him. <3 How are all your new Es doing? You had some gorgeous colored Es! We missed you!

Links

Post by Links » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:12 am

When I left them in the tank 24/7 I had a “shop” now that I’m doing the shell experiment I just scatter them across the sub since they’re only in there for about 2 days a week.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:02 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:I have a little of both also, I like them up bc they stay a little cleaner longer but with so many different sized crabs in such a big tank, it’s like the tank is full of shells! Lol! Then of course sand and they get buried. I thought about putting them in my pools, I wonder if anyone else has done that. They’d stay clean! Haha!
Your tank looks great! I love your water bowls with the plants! How is Sebastian doing!? I will never forget him because he was one the first hermit crabs that I read about with his time in isolation. I can’t remember exactly what happened but I always remember him. <3 How are all your new Es doing? You had some gorgeous colored Es! We missed you! Image
Sebastian is great!! He's huge now, and doing so wonderful. He was attacked and lost his pincher and a couple legs. But it's all grown back and better than ever!
My Es are also good, most of them are molting but I have a couple up! Stitch FINALLY changed outta that blue painted shell, and my first E has tripled in size! He also changed shells! Thank you so much I missed yall too!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:03 pm

I have the smaller shells in the shop and bigger shells on the sub. It bothers me to have them so dirty and constantly digging them up but the crabs seem more interested in them now!
Also, I've tried shells in the pools and some crabs love it! I just dont have big enough pools yet