55g tank build (5 years in the making!)

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Re: 55g tank build (5 years in the making!)

Post by hermitcrabdc » Sun May 17, 2020 6:32 pm

Woo! It's finished! I'm in love with it! So green!

The crabs seem to like it, they've been exploring everything since they moved in.

Lots and lots of zip ties to make everything as stable as possible. My dudes are huge and knock anything over than is loose!

There's a lot of plants and wood zip tied to the mesh lid. I also made a second level out of canvas that is zip tied to the top. They seem to like it.

The water dishes have canvas liners to make cleaning easier. I also used a zip tie to create a holder for the pump tubing. I've never been able to keep air stones under the water, this helps keep it in place.

Here's some pics.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun May 17, 2020 6:56 pm

That looks really good! Its always fun watching crabs explore new crabitats. Well when's they don't run to a corner and see how deep they can dig first!

I zip tied the hoses to my air stones under the mesh in the pool. Having the bubblers under the mesh also helped reduce the overspray a little bit too. I added an in line control valve about 12 inches from the pool. That way when I need to change the waters I can unplug the air lines and turn the air flow off. Once the pools are back in plug the air lines in and adjust the flow again.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 17, 2020 11:59 pm

It's so good to see you back on the forum! Your tank looks awesome!! Those are some spoiled crabbies!!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com