Possible Tank Upgrade

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
avocadocrabbies
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:24 am
Location: Scarsdale, New York
Contact:

Possible Tank Upgrade

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:05 am

Hey! So I am a relatively new crabby mom, have had my four crabs, Igor (medium-small) Argyle and Karen (medium) and Sandy (medium-largish) for about a year. They are currently in a 20 gal long and all very active. (I am having a current issue with Argyle molting though, please see my separate post on that!)
So I noticed petco is having a dollar a gallon sale and I thought it was a very good opportunity to upgrade their tank to something nicer, like a 40gal or maybe even a 55gal. However, we did a total tank substrate change due to some mold outbreaks, and that was only a couple weeks ago. If I don't buy the tank now, I probably won't buy it when the price goes back up. (And I think the prices probably dropped because of covid19 and its economic damage, so will the sale occur again?)
If I bought the tank now, most of you are probably thinking I could just wait a while and then upgrade their tank, maybe late summer or autumn. But I know me, and I'll get so excited about the idea that I won't be able to hold myself back and I'll end up going crazy and doing the upgrade right away. In other words: do the upgrade now or possibly never. What do you guys think?
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

User avatar

Wlfwo
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Possible Tank Upgrade

Post by Wlfwo » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:48 am

Petco has the $1 gallon sales pretty regularly.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

User avatar

Motörcrab
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2047
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm
Location: Coal Region in Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Possible Tank Upgrade

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:52 am

Yea, Wlfwo is right Petco has the $1 a gallon sale every few months. Just keep in mind that the tank is only part of the purchase. You will also need to consider a larger UTH, new top/s, and possibly a stand too. All of that is a pretty big investment in additional investment to the tank.

Keep your eyes open we stumbled across a 65 gallon, stand, light, and glass lids for $200 at Pet Smart. It was an in store deal. The website said it wasn't avaliable, but calling the store they had it.

If all your crabs are up and accounted for It would be fine to reuse that substrate in the new tank. You will just need to add more sub to what you already have.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

User avatar

Topic author
avocadocrabbies
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:24 am
Location: Scarsdale, New York
Contact:

Re: Possible Tank Upgrade

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:05 am

Thanks, Motorcrab and Wlfwo! I'll definitely keep an eye out for those bargains. :cheer:
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Post Reply