second level- metal?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

second level- metal?

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:00 am

I've been looking for ways to make a second level and toying with different DIY ideas, one of the ideas I had regarded a mini table or shelf thing that didn't require tension rods/ craft mesh to make a second level. I found on in the right size (it's actually a plant stand) except it's made out of lightweight metal. Is this unsuitable for a crab tank? In theory, I know you aren't supposed to use metal in a crab tank, but it doesn't seem like the kind of metal that would rust, it's almost like plastic
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: second level- metal?

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:08 am

Can you post a photo of it up close, so we can see what you mean?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:43 pm

I think I know what you mean. It's metal, but covered in plastic/rubber. I've seen people wrap hemp or jute around it to help prevent picking and rust. We use eggcrate for our levels. We get it at Lowe's. Easy to work with and the possibilities are endless!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ImageImage
ImageImage
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:28 pm

Wow, that looks good! I actually ended up deciding against the metal stand, I've been trying to figure out ways of creating that second level with materials I can find for a good price in-store (online will take forever to ship) and the possibilities are kind of limited. :/

Xenocrab, how large is your tank, and do you think you could possibly describe to me how you designed it? I love the egg crate idea, and I'm pretty much open to anything because I haven't purchased anything yet, still researching.

edit: I plan on getting zip ties for other things as well, but I primarily thought of them because of some egg crate ideas I had. For some reason, I can't find any store with egg crate! I checked Lowe's and Home Depot but weirdly there doesn't seem to be any!
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Wlfwo

Post by Wlfwo » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:15 am

They have the egg crate with the ceiling tiles. Plaskolite is what Lowe's calls it. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:10 am

To easily work with egg crate you need something to make clean cuts on the plastic.

Another name for Egg Crate is lighting diffusers.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/PLASKOLITE-Com ... ls/3280904

Diagonal side cut wires work great. You can use whatever you want. I highly recommend these or something similar.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CHANNELLOCK-XL ... /999914689

To keep everything together we use zip ties. Lots and lots of zip ties! For one complete tank build we can go through two or more 100 count zip ties. Most of the time you only need the thin 4" ties. The longer and heavier 8" ties are good to have on hand too.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities