moldy grapevine and water question

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

moldy grapevine and water question

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:46 pm

honestly this is like the fifth time I've posted today and I"m probably going to end up posting again later, forgive me moderators

I have a rly thick and big grapevine log that has some yellow fungus on it, it's pretty minor but obviously I have to get rid of it before putting it in the new tank. I was thinking of scraping it off, but then thought that I should just bake it? Or should I scrape and then bake? it's a really big log so 200 degrees F for 30 mins should probably do it

my water question: it seems I've been using the wrong tap water de-chlorinator and also the wrong salt water conditioner. I'd prefer if I didn't have to switch, but I will if I have to. are instant ocean and prime dechlorinator the only accepted brands? I have something called API for both dechlorinator and salt water. It seems like it's meant for fish... the salt is actual aquarium salt in the form of small rocks. thanks in advance! And sorry for the bajillion more posts I'll probably end up making in the course of the next five hours :roll:
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Xenocrab

Re: moldy grapevine and water question

Post by Xenocrab » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:18 pm

Ask JoeHermit. He knows everything.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:49 pm

I’m not an expert in mold, but I would scrape it off and then bake it as you described to kill off whatever’s left.

As for the dechlorinator, you just need to treat for chlorines, chloramines, and heavy metals, which API will do.

In short API dechlorinator will do just fine.

The API salt is actually a freshwater version created to reduce stress in fish. It supplies some salts and electrolytes but it’s not a marine salt. I would find a new salt for your saltwater created for marine fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Xenocrab wrote:Ask JoeHermit. He knows everything.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Um, excuse me??? Do I look like Wodesorel to you xD

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:08 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:50 pm
Um, excuse me??? Do I look like Wodesorel to you xD

😂
I keep saying you're awesome!!

Avacado, will the mouldy log fit into a big pot? Boiling the wood with a large amount of the API salt should prevent any future growth. I started salt treating all my driftwood for the crabs this way a few years back and haven't had a stitch of mold on them since. Wish I could use it on all diftwood in all my tanks, but the salts would be dangerous for anything that is not a crab. I have a big stock pot that can fit larger pieces, and sometimes they have to be boiled with one side sticking out of the pot, and then carefully flipped to the other side to get it all. (The joys of being an adult with my own place, I do the cooking, so my husband just eyes me from across the house and doesn't say a word. I NEVER would have been allowed to do this when I lived with my mother.)

Baking will kill everything that is on the wood, but it won't prevent future problems when mould spores land on the wood again.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:35 pm

Here's the HCA care sheet that explains about water:

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=92553
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:38 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:08 pm
😂
I keep saying you're awesome!!

Avacado, will the mouldy log fit into a big pot? Boiling the wood with a large amount of the API salt should prevent any future growth. I started salt treating all my driftwood for the crabs this way a few years back and haven't had a stitch of mold on them since. Wish I could use it on all diftwood in all my tanks, but the salts would be dangerous for anything that is not a crab. I have a big stock pot that can fit larger pieces, and sometimes they have to be boiled with one side sticking out of the pot, and then carefully flipped to the other side to get it all. (The joys of being an adult with my own place, I do the cooking, so my husband just eyes me from across the house and doesn't say a word. I NEVER would have been allowed to do this when I lived with my mother.)

Baking will kill everything that is on the wood, but it won't prevent future problems when mould spores land on the wood again.
ugh, I absolutely cannot wait until I am in your position. being fifteen years old and living with an asian mother is not great for when you need to pop some cholla in the oven :cry: Even though I practically do most of the cooking, it's still "her kitchen"... I'll see if I'm allowed to put a very large stick into a pot just this once

p.s. that's hysterical with your husband. down under hath no fury like a woman trying to care for her crabs, am I right?
Last edited by avocadocrabbies on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:40 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:49 pm
I’m not an expert in mold, but I would scrape it off and then bake it as you described to kill off whatever’s left.

As for the dechlorinator, you just need to treat for chlorines, chloramines, and heavy metals, which API will do.

In short API dechlorinator will do just fine.

The API salt is actually a freshwater version created to reduce stress in fish. It supplies some salts and electrolytes but it’s not a marine salt. I would find a new salt for your saltwater created for marine fish.

okay, thanks a ton for the advice! (for salt, where can I find Instant Ocean? the pet stores all look like they've been ransacked)

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:46 pm

curlysister wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:35 pm
Here's the HCA care sheet that explains about water:

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=92553
thanks!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:17 pm

You may have to order online if you can’t find anything in stores. Also, Instant Ocean isn’t the only brand, so keep an eye out for anything made for marine aquariums.

One more thing, I grew up with a Vietnamese mother. The secret is to sneak in and sneak out before she notices ;)

Topic author
avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:31 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:17 pm
You may have to order online if you can’t find anything in stores. Also, Instant Ocean isn’t the only brand, so keep an eye out for anything made for marine aquariums.

One more thing, I grew up with a Vietnamese mother. The secret is to sneak in and sneak out before she notices ;)

okay, will do! And thanks for the tip :lol: