Can I do a tank topper

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Hermielover121

Can I do a tank topper

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:36 pm

Hi so I am getting a tank upgrade ( 10 gall to 20) but it isn’t very tall since it is 20 gallon long so I wanted to make it taller can I flip the 10 gallon over the 20 gallon and make a topper? Has anyone done this before????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avocadocrabbies

Re: Can I do a tank topper

Post by avocadocrabbies » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:59 pm

Hermielover121 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:36 pm
Hi so I am getting a tank upgrade ( 10 gall to 20) but it isn’t very tall since it is 20 gallon long so I wanted to make it taller can I flip the 10 gallon over the 20 gallon and make a topper? Has anyone done this before????

I personally have never done a topper, but I'm not sure it would work with tanks of two separate sizes. Usually people do the same size of tanks so it fits perfectly, but how would you create a lid/a way to access the tank with the 10 on top of the 20? There's probably a way but I've never seen it done. Honestly, xenocrab probably knows how :hlol:
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:01 pm

Well for the lid I was thinking of just using the 10 gallon lid that I already have if it works but I don’t know if it works? Just have to wait till tomorrow I guess!

SilverHermits

Post by SilverHermits » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:34 pm

Topper tanks are a great way to allow your crabs to climb! In the wild hermit crabs spend most of their time in trees (yet most people think they only stay on the beach!)

One of my tanks is a 35 gallon with a 15 gallon topper, they personally love it and have a blast in the fake plants and tree branches. For me, I have a piece of plexiglass that slides so I can easily access the food and water containers (and it keeps the humidity in). It can also be removed so I can reach the topper and fix anything.

Make sure that the width of the topper is the same as the bottom tank or it might not fit, you could always make your own stand if it is too small. To secure it use tape or put velcro on the sides.
Crabber for over 11 years
16 hermit crabs
13 Purple Pinchers, 2 Straws and a Brevi
Tanks: 100g, 75g, 29g+ a bunch of smaller ones

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:42 pm

Thank you I really want to add a topper I just hope it lines up

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:59 am

Uhhhhhhhhh this is torture I really want one of the crabs to stop molting so I can do this tank upgrade!!!!!!!!

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:02 pm

I decided to try adding a topper, I had an old fish tank laying around. I'm not exactly sure how many gallons it is, but it was NOT the same size as my existing tank. With some help from boyfriend and his tools, I carved this out of some spare wood. The smaller tank can rest on this and cutting out the center allows them full access to the upper section. I still want to oil it to prevent moisture problems, and I'll probably need to make some adjustments, but I'll post the final product when I get there!Image

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:46 pm

Awesome! I put a 30 gal on top of my 55 gal. I used super strong velcro on the tank lips to secure them together.
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:36 pm

That's a great idea.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•