Bioactive crabitat dream

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Rapui

Bioactive crabitat dream

Post by Rapui » Wed May 20, 2020 2:30 pm

Building my first crabitat. Tank is a 121 litre exo terra. Bioactive crabitat is what I would like to end up with. That said my pools are going to be too small for proper cycling. So this will be my learning tank and a bigger crabbitat with proper pools with filters will follow someday. Hopefully I will have crabs by then. :D

So far I've cut plexiglass to cover the mesh lid. Siliconed a piece of plexiglass to the front to get better substrate depth. Substrate is playsand/all purpose sand and cocofiber, about 5:1 mix, 15cm deep.

Thermometer and hygrometer are both analog and digital. Hygrometers need some work. Analog says 60 and digital 96, so humidity is a mystery for now. :? Without heating temperature is around 23° C.

Temporary lightning is plantlight and daylight bulbs.

The tank is not totally airtight. Time will tell if I have to redo the lid and cover the front ventilation holes.

https://i.imgur.com/SPLmqg2.jpg

Xenocrab

Re: Bioactive crabitat dream

Post by Xenocrab » Wed May 20, 2020 2:49 pm

15 cm doesn't sound deep enough. That's just under 6 inches. How many crabs and what sizes? I'd go with a minimum of 8 inches of substrate. Check out the care pages on here. There are links. We use UTHs from the Bean Farm and Reptile Basics on the back of our tanks, above the substrate
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:19 pm

I use a small ET as an iso tank (for any except my jumbos it will work anyway!) and while my sub isn’t as deep as yours, and the surface area of my pools aren’t huge, I have to tape the cracks around the front in addition to sealing the top. So, proportionally its not quite the same either, I’m no mathematician. I hope the surface area of your sub in your location is plenty, just be sure to have a reliable hygrometer from the outset. Others can maybe chime in if they have experience with the ET- I love them, I think they’re really aesthetically pleasing... unless mine winds up as a tank topper! Which is also likely.

but anyway, good luck with yours, I’m sure you will love having those crabbies in there to enjoy too!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu May 21, 2020 2:04 am

Xenocrab wrote:15 cm doesn't sound deep enough. That's just under 6 inches. How many crabs and what sizes? I'd go with a minimum of 8 inches of substrate. Check out the care pages on here. There are links. We use UTHs from the Bean Farm and Reptile Basics on the back of our tanks, above the substrate
15 cms basically equates to 6 inches, plus or minus a .00 of a degree after conversion. ^_^ at 8 inches, you're looking at around 20cm (approx)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Rapui

Post by Rapui » Thu May 21, 2020 2:58 am

Xenocrab wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:49 pm
15 cm doesn't sound deep enough. That's just under 6 inches. How many crabs and what sizes? I'd go with a minimum of 8 inches of substrate. Check out the care pages on here. There are links. We use UTHs from the Bean Farm and Reptile Basics on the back of our tanks, above the substrate
No crabs yet. When I finally get some, they are likely 2-3 cm in size. If they are bigger, I can build a bigger tank sooner.

Heater will be added when I buy it. Just figuring out what size to get.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu May 21, 2020 6:52 am

Have you considered siliconing the plexiglass piece to the mesh lid? That could help. You could always cut pieces out for the lighting.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Rapui

Post by Rapui » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:04 pm

Slowly moving on. With this speed I'll be ready sometime next year. :)

One pool is in place near the corner. White plastic box is a wannabe shell shop. Big piece of coconutwall is fastened in place.

Everything else is still moving around. (I definitely need a bigger tank) :?

White plastic will need some camouflage. Maybe some jute mat with moss around the edges?

Mosspit needs some serious thinking. I have no idea what to make it of or where to place it.

http://imgur.com/a/8iRIfeJ

Topic author
Rapui

Post by Rapui » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:46 pm

So....things happened faster than planned :shock: I got my hermies today and almost finished the tank yesterday.

Now I just need to plan and build a bigger tank, with evething that wouldn't fit in this one :D

http://imgur.com/gallery/WY58dAR
http://imgur.com/gallery/sNuL2dT

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:41 pm

Think it turned put amazing! Great job, love the setup

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies