Building an Aquarium Stand

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Cal

Building an Aquarium Stand

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:30 pm

I recently decided to upgrade my crabs’ tank from a 20 gallon long to a 30 or 40 gallon (whichever I can find a better deal for). However, finding an aquarium stand or a good shelf within my price range to put the crabitat on has been a bit of a challenge! I’ve been looking into making my own stand, but most of the tutorials I’ve seen are for fish tanks to be put on. I know I’m being annoying with all these posts and questions, and if nobody knows it’s fine, of course!!; but, does anyone know if you have to keep any extra things in mind when designing an aquarium stand for crabs, or have any tips for someone pretty inexperienced in building things? :-P
I was thinking a frame sort of like this, which i found on WikiHow, lol Image

I also thought once I started actually building it I might put my process here, too!

Another slightly unrelated question, too—can I buy driftwood/cholla from etsy and put it in the crabitat, so long as i bake it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Cal on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud parent of 3 purple pinchers: Dr. Schmibbs, Tiger, and Cerulean :)
RIP to Marcel the Shell, Perry, and Sam

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Building an Aquarium Stand

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:52 pm

Stands for aquariums and crabs are exactly the same, as the weight will be just about the same. The nice thing about making your own is that you can adjust the height if needed - many of us petite ladies end up with sore armpits while changing water and food because the commercial stands are too high!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Cal

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:55 pm

wodesorel wrote:Stands for aquariums and crabs are exactly the same, as the weight will be just about the same. The nice thing about making your own is that you can adjust the height if needed - many of us petite ladies end up with sore armpits while changing water and food because the commercial stands are too high!
Ah, okay. That makes things quite a bit easier, lol! And that is a nice feature, I like the crabitat to be a bit lower to the ground, too!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:21 pm

wodesorel wrote:Stands for aquariums and crabs are exactly the same, as the weight will be just about the same. The nice thing about making your own is that you can adjust the height if needed - many of us petite ladies end up with sore armpits while changing water and food because the commercial stands are too high!
When I change the water, or move things around the crabitat, I have to use one of those little step stools haha. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Wlfwo

Post by Wlfwo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:54 am

I bought my Cholla wood from Etsy, Cholla queen I think it was. I just boiled saltwater (marine) poured it on it , let it cool then let it dry and put it in the crabitat.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

Topic author
Cal

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:50 am

Wlfwo wrote:I bought my Cholla wood from Etsy, Cholla queen I think it was. I just boiled saltwater (marine) poured it on it , let it cool then let it dry and put it in the crabitat.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
Oh, thanks for the recommendations! I’ll check out Cholla Queen!

Topic author
Cal

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:43 pm

Update: I’m not building a stand after all! I found a tv stand for $10 on facebook marketplace, and all it needs is some legs to be added and a bit of painting! It’s 35.5 inches wide and my tank is 36, so it’s almost a perfect fit (close enough for me, for $10, lol).