Bundy's DIY Humidifier :D

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun May 11, 2008 8:45 pm

Okay, I think you have a glitch in your system in that the outgoing tube is designed to carry the humid (air), not water, up and out into your tat.
Rather like an exhaust line. :idea:

You have the one tube correct in that it's down in the water with a bubble stone attached. The second "exhaust" tube does NOT go into the water at all. It should sit maybe about an inch or less just under the lid. You only want to water saturated air pumped into your tat.
Does that make sense?? Let me know if you still are having questions.
If necessary I can send you a close up pic if you're still having trouble.

Good luck! :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun May 11, 2008 9:23 pm

Yes, I tried both ways - the tube in the water (just to try the pressure), and the tube in the air above the water. Neither seemed to be working. The humidity wouldn't go above 65% at all.

For the time being, I nixed the humidifier and tried a bubble pool. It is working FANTASTICALLY, only, I'm not sure the crabs love the idea. I think one of my Es is molting, so I'm afraid it's too loud or it's vibrating too much for him....so I'm a little scared. And as soon as the filter went on, everyone else scurried over to the other side of the tank. Haha.

But the humidity shot up to 80% in no time at all, so I'm pleased. I'm looking into one of the Exo Terra waterfalls, too, but they are a bit out of my price range.

When my molter comes up I plan on doing a deep clean and redecorating, so I might try the humidifier again. But if the crabs warm up to the pool I might have to keep it around. :)

Thanks for the help! :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon May 12, 2008 9:33 am

Hi again Souled,

Hang in there with the humidifier idea. You might need a second air stone. I had better results when I upgraded my air pump to a two nozzle unit.
2x the input= twice as much air flow=more humid air into the tat.

If you're concerned about the $$ for an upgraded pump you can purchase an adapter for your current pump for a couple of bucks.

One thing I didn't ask...(my bad) How big is your tat? That might make a big difference. And, how large is the jar that you made into the humidifier? Actually I don't know if the size of the jar matters as much as how big a space you're actually trying to humidify.

I'm glad that the bubble pool is working for you! :) To cut down on the alarming noise, you might want to try this...
(I considered doing this if my "bundy project" didn't work).

Using a "pill bottle" shaped container, rather tall maybe 4-6" (or larger depending on the size of your tat) and countersink into the substrate or hidden behind something. Make sure that your crabs couldn't slip down into the mouth of the container, (or you'd need to use some sort of netting to cover) then, submerge the bubble stone to the bottom.

Having a deeper pool might muffle the noise but still provide the necessary humidity.

Please let me know how you made out. :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon May 12, 2008 1:09 pm

Thanks for the discussion, Crabby. I really appreciate it!

I have a 20L and the humidifier was made with a large, empty V8 Splash bottle. Not really sure how many ounces it was...I ripped the label off.

Your idea with the bubble pool is what I had in mind for my redecoration. I have half of a tree trunk from the pet store that I was going to place against the glass with the bubble pool on the inside of the trunk between the glass. The bubble pool I whipped up yesterday is made from half a water bottle with shells in it and the air stone under the shells. I like it a lot. Hehe. That's why I might stick to that. It's just a pain when I have to lift the lid to change food, fix a suction cup, or refill the water. The tubing isn't very cooperative. :P

When I was in the store deciding on which pump to get, I did settle for the cheaper, one outlet pump. I figured if the humidifier didn't work I could at least create a bubble pool, which ended up being what I had to do. Totally fine, though! I'm happy and the crabbies are more active. :)

Thanks again for getting back to me! Maybe I'll try the humidifier again if and when I get my dream tank of 50G. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon May 12, 2008 5:48 pm

Glad that it's working out. Happy, active crabs is what's important and what we all strive to have. Well done! :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:17 pm

where would you get an air stone and aquarium tubes?
2 years after you started this post. :oops: ha ha! i am new here. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:59 am

Hi, First of all, Welcome!! :D We're here to help each other so if you have questions, "fire away".

Air stones and tubing can be found at any "good" pet supply store. PetCo, PetSmart or your local neighborhood pet store should be able to help you.

However, I DO have to caution you.... If you are seeking advice on how to care for your Hermit Crabs, you might be wise to ask questions here as most pet stores don't have a clue.

Again, welcome to a fun forum. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:33 am

can I use a kitchen sponge or does it have to be one from a pet store?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:31 pm

I think "any" sponge is fine as long as it's never been used for anything and has not been treated with an "antibacterial" agent.

Just so as you know, I removed the sponge that I was using. The air stones seem to put off enough "wet air" by themselves.

Also, I completely empty and wipe down the jar and hoses once a month and refill with fresh spring water. Otherwise it gets kinda slimy and the water gets cloudy. I think it's a water thing...

dodie

Post by dodie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:44 pm

CrabbyJoy wrote: Also, I completely empty and wipe down the jar and hoses once a month and refill with fresh spring water. Otherwise it gets kinda slimy and the water gets cloudy. I think it's a water thing...
A quick question, if I added some salt water to the spring water, would that help cut down on the "slimy stuff"? I have the exo-terra medium waterfall and am presently cleaning it once every 2 weeks as it gets pretty slimy and the water gets pretty gunky I've never tried adding a little salt water, but wondered if it would help reduce slime?

P.S. The waterfall with fogger are sweet at keeping up humidity!

(I hope this is posted in an appropriate place! Please move if it's not. Thanks.)
20 Rugs (13 ants & micros)
10 Straws
6 Violas
2 Indos
2 Cavipes
3 Cats
1 Puppy
1 Bf

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:00 am

Wow that you so much for this post. This is exactly where I am right now. You are an answer to a prayer :)

I am going to do try this out tomorrow.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:10 pm

Dah!! :shock: I feel so silly! I never thought about using salt water in the humidifier. I guess it would feel like an "ocean breeze". How cool is that? 8)
Just thinking.... Do you think the salty air would leave a residue on the inside of the glass? Hum... :?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:32 pm

am wondering if a lg plastic coffee container would work for this? if any one could answer i would appreciate

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi Tammy,
I would think most any large glass or plastic container would do just fine as long as the lid seals tight. Just be sure to run it through the dishwasher before you use it. Or hand wash is that's all you've got. That works nicely too.

The lid should be large enough for you to drill holes in without breaking. I would also think having a clear container would be a benefit so that you could monitor the water level. But, it's certainly worth a try using the plastic coffee container to get you started.

I hope this helps you.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:04 pm

I made a humidifier with this method yesterday, and it's working. You've helped out one more person! 8) Thanks bundy, cwaweeks, and others who have had input.