Bundy's DIY Humidifier :D

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:08 pm

:D Gotta love a success story! :D

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:52 pm

I really need to try this!

I have like, 20 bucks lying around so I can buy a plexigalss lid (really need one!)
An Airpump, probably 2 nozzle one and some tubes! I can use a screw driver or something for the holes. I could also use it to drill into the tank, So I can leave the humidifier on 24/7 and still have the humidity at aroun 80-85

I Plan on building a water fall too :)
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

Topic author

Don't use saltwater in it

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:49 pm

Thank you all so much I'm going to the pet store tomorrow to buy an air stone and then I'm putting some version of this in... I sooo didn't want to plunk down even more money for a waterfall or something.

Just wanted to add, I saw a post thinking using saltwater for humidifying would be like a cool ocean breeze...

BUT it's likely to reduce the humidity substantially. Saltwater doesn't evaporate nearly as well as freshwater. It's a chemistry thing, colligative properties, the boiling point of salt water is several degrees higher, meaning unless you raise the temperature you'll find lower humidity.

I'll let you know how it goes...

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:15 pm

i just got all the supplies for this but i have one problem...i have a sliding screen lid

my tank is only 29 gal, so i can't put it inside the tank it would take up way too much room
what should i do?
arthur, charlie, ralph, hunter and oliver
rip. benjamin

suebee

Post by suebee » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:28 pm

they make round circle things that you can cut a spot out of your screen top and then its the edging of the circle for the tubing to come through. Usually you can get them where you will find clips to clip the lids down. Oh i hate my sliding lid! I just ordered this one http://www.petco.com/product/4357/PETCO ... SiteSearch
I ordered the bottom one that is hindged so you can lift up one side at at time. That way i can leave the light or fogger on the top other side to put in food or water.
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:55 pm

i actually quite like my sliding lid because that way my lamp can stay clamped quite lowly - i suppose the hinged lid would be the same principle but a little less annoying

i think i am just going to put it at the opening of my lid and leave it open slightly at all times, but the humidity would have to travel a lot further... would this still work this way?
rip. benjamin

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:21 pm

gosh this air pump is annoying!
not very loud but its there
and it's in my eating area, where we are most of the time
yuck!
rip. benjamin

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:36 pm

its not doing very much for me
within the hour and a half that i've had it on the humidity has gone no where and there is maybe a drip every 5 minutes from the tubing
rip. benjamin

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:30 am

Tlivs, I have a suggestion to quiet your air pump.
Have you tried placing a foam pad under it? Even an old mouse pad might work. Also, try putting your pump on a timer. Having a few hours of quiet during your mealtime might provide a solution.

I utilize both. I have a pad of foam about 1 inch thick that absorbs a lot of the vibrations and a timer too. My tat is also in our kitchen/family room area and the noise can be annoying but these have helped.

Good luck! :)

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:26 pm

i put a cloth underneath it, but its the actual motor thats making the noise
i had to come downstairs last night to turn it off because it was so loud
when i came down however, the humidity was at 40%
i'm glad this worked for so many people, but it was a complete miss for me
i am running out of ideas for humidity
rip. benjamin

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:24 pm

Wow, you're still having trouble with the humidity level? Please PM me and let me see if I can help. My tat is a tall 33 gal with a constant 70-75% humidity level utilizing the Bundy system.
I would welcome the challenge! :)

Topic author

XD

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:12 am

I think I'm going to go home and try this now. I like recycling random things and I happen to have some jars and an old but still usable pump with tubing and an extra stone. I think I might actually have sponges somewhere. XD and do you think it would work just as well if I had two pipes running to two different tanks? I have toads in a tank beside my hermits and they're humidity is a bit low as well.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:23 pm

I don't see why not. With my air pump I have two lines going into the jar of water and only one line going out into the tat. Depending how big your tanks are you should be able to determine if that is sufficient within the first twelve hour period.

Topic author

YAY!

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:31 pm

I just made it and it seems to be working but I haven't but it up in the tank yet I'm taking pictures of it before.
Thanks for the directions. I'm hoping it will bring the humidity up in the tank XD

-O.M.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:58 pm

i took some pictures. I'm not going to try to make it go to both tanks at once till I see how well it works in one at a time. x3

-o.M[/img]