Bundy's DIY Humidifier :D

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author

X3

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:02 pm

need to buy sponges for it still. X3

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:40 am

Hey, that looks great! Do you have any "sticky tack"? To make the tube holes more airtight "sticky tack" around the tubes works great. BTW, you don't really need the sponges.

Good luck- Looks like you're off to a "Bundy" start! :)

VHPlac

Post by VHPlac » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:29 pm

I got it to be a lot quieter by placing pump and water container on a silicon pot holder. (Crabitat is set up in my daughters bedroom!)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Bravo and well done! Anything to keep the house quiet. Keep up the good work. Please let me know if you have any issues.

Xyloart

Post by Xyloart » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:00 am

Hey I finally set one of these up. With the heat on for winter the humidity in my place has been dropping so I've been having trouble keeping the humidity in my tank above 60% (pre winter it was always between 75% and 80%). I've basically been on misting mode 24/7. So far so good though; the humidity is gently climbing. :) I do think I'll get a silicone mat; that's a really good idea.
Current critters: Cat, Corn Snake, Plated Lizard, two Bettas, 12 PPs, 10 Es, 6 Ruggies, 2 blueberries, 3 strawberries, 2 foster guinea pigs

Rocky

Re:

Post by Rocky » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:17 pm

VHPlac wrote:I got it to be a lot quieter by placing pump and water container on a silicon pot holder. (Crabitat is set up in my daughters bedroom!)
I like your idea :D Can I see another picture of that thing since I've read through some of this topic and I'm not sure about what tube goes where what goes into the pump or any of that stuff :?:
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

gpw9167

Re: Bundy's DIY Humidifier :D

Post by gpw9167 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:27 pm

I was also wondering. This helps with humidity, but do you still have to keep wetting your substrate? For example: I have air stones in my pools, so my humidity is pretty much always good, but I have a UTH on the back of my tank which dries out the substrate, will this help eliminate the substrate from drying out?
2 - cats (Stormy, Gypsy) <<<<>>>>> 2 - parakeets (Polly, Snake)
6 - PP's (Jasmin, Smalls,The Rock, Gary, Big Guy, Wizzer ) 8 -E's (Fluffy, Henry, Sal, Lucky, Charles, Stormey, Larry, Moe)
6 - goldfish
1 - husband , 3 - children

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Maybe a little but probably not alot, especially near your UTH. You can still wet those ares so that the substrate is the right consistency to tunnel in
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

gpw9167

Post by gpw9167 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:40 pm

OK thanks. That is what I was figuring, but I thought it was worth a try! :D
2 - cats (Stormy, Gypsy) <<<<>>>>> 2 - parakeets (Polly, Snake)
6 - PP's (Jasmin, Smalls,The Rock, Gary, Big Guy, Wizzer ) 8 -E's (Fluffy, Henry, Sal, Lucky, Charles, Stormey, Larry, Moe)
6 - goldfish
1 - husband , 3 - children

meanwun

Post by meanwun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:09 pm

This is awesome. I just built one and it is helping alot.

I did mine without the sponges and made sure to use a plastic lid. The reason I used a plastic lid was so that I could drill holes smaller than the outside diameter of the tubing and I figured it would be tough to do that on thin metal lids. This makes it self sealing. I didn't want to have to buy silicone/aquarium sealant. I used a 5/32" drill bit.

The hardest part is pulling the tubing through the lid. There is an easy trick though, cut an angle at the tip of the tubing. This will allow you to get it in and from there use needle nose pliers to pull. Always grasp at the angle you cut because you will need to remove that part anyway for your bubble stone. That makes it so only the angle you cut gets "damaged".

I figured i'd add this for other crabbers on a budget, but have power tools. I hope it helps.

alliciat

Post by alliciat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 pm

I clicked on the link for the image, I do better creating things if I see it.
The link:
http://www.users.on.net/~richard.norris ... ierexp.jpg Just took to a page saying not found..........

ginamarie

Post by ginamarie » Sat May 04, 2013 1:18 am

Can you repose your humidifier picture please?

leah&leo

Post by leah&leo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:07 am

What kind of air pump is used in the picture? I am in DESPERATE need of a humidifier but I can't afford to buy one :/
Leah & Leo

fraksocks

Post by fraksocks » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:15 pm

It's the type used for fish aquariums. I believe that's a tetra brand air pump but any brand will work.

leah&leo

Post by leah&leo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Okay thanks, Im going to try this and hopefully it helps :)
Leah & Leo