Not a 2nd level...but a BASEMENT! DIY! *PICS ADDED!*

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author

Not a 2nd level...but a BASEMENT! DIY! *PICS ADDED!*

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:10 pm

So many people want 2nd levels, but what about a basement? I know you're thinking, "How in the world am I going to do that?!" Well, I have a way and it is just 10 steps!

Supplies:
A tupperware container (no lid) that's large enough for your largest crab to walk around in and have ample room.
Scissors or a knife, whichever works best for you
Moss, EE, or playsand
Pen, pencil, magic marker, or permanent marker
Tape
Fishnet, vines, or anything small that a crab can climb.

1.)First, flip over the tupperware container so the opening is face down.

2.)Draw a large circle with a pencil, pen, or marker (large enough for your largest crab to fit through) on the top of your flipped-over tupperware container.

3.) Using a knife or scissors, cut out the circle so you have a nice, large hole.

4.) Since the edges are sharp, put tape around them so they aren't as soft.

5.) Dig out a space in your crabitat that's large enough for your container.

6.) Put the container in the open spot.

7.) Put the substrate you had dug out around the container so that only the hole is visible.

8.) Put moss, EE, or sand in the bottom to cover up the glass.

9.) Put something (fishnet is what I used) that can stretch from the bottom of your basement to the main floor and anchor it there with rocks or something heavy and hermie-safe.

10.) Let your crabs enjoy their new basement!

I'll post pics of mine when I get the chance. :)
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:16 pm

Interesting idea. My only concern is taking away tunneling space, but in a large tank that shouldn't be a problem.

If the hole is on top, then what is used for them to crawl down and back up? May not be picturing it properly, but my first mental image was a "trap door." :P

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:47 pm

You can use fishnet or a small choya. It creates a bit more floor space, but it's not like there's no more room for tunneling.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:18 am

Ok, I think I have it. Sounds pretty nifty. I know of three cocohut dwellers right now that I'd never see again! :shock: Still, I might have to try it. Thanks! :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:11 am

Thanks! :D I woke up this morning and saw my little PP, Stumpy, just sitting in the basement, enjoying the moss! :)

Topic author
cranlsn

Post by cranlsn » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:45 am

Neat idea, as an alternative to tape you might trim the edge of the opening with aquarium sealant. :)

Can't wait for pics!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Yes, that's very true! I didn't have any sealant at the time, so of course I couldn't use any, lol. :)

Pics coming very very soon!

Mamakins

Post by Mamakins » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:49 pm

What a cool idea! i might have to try that when I do a deep clean. If you're putting the EE that you removed back on top of the container, and put moss or something inside it, you really wouldn't be loosing that much diggin space. Please post pics, I'm anxious to see.
Laura: AKA MOM! Crabby since May 07
Mom to Evan 19, Trevor 16, Justin 14, Warren 12
Hermit crabs, created geckos, box turtle and Uromastyx.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:46 am

ahh! I want to see pictures! its sounds GREAT!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:53 pm

Thanks!! :D I'll put the pics on this post in just a sec. The crabs LOVE it! Everytime I look in the tank, there is always someone in the basement! :D

PICS! PICS! PICS!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:09 pm

That is a must try now. I have no imagination...pictures help sooo much. :P Looks great and I know a few of my guys that would rent it out on the first day! :lol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:51 pm

when I do my deep clean this month I think I will try this. and I'm going to put it Up against the glass in the front of my tank. That way I can see the Hermits in the basement! :D

this is very cool!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:31 pm

That is a very imaginative idea :shock: :D . Love it!!! It makes sense when I can see it, and it seems like they really like the hidden cave. Very 8)

Topic author
Justin

Post by Justin » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:44 pm

I tried making this but all the substrate would fall in and pile up so no one could get in >,<

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:04 am

very neat idea...i will have to try it!

I have been thinking of a way to make a permanent tunnel highway to the bottom of the tank...because when my big guy digs, I am so afraid of him collapsing the little guys tunnels...