Not a 2nd level...but a BASEMENT! DIY! *PICS ADDED!*

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author

OK soo..

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:10 pm

OK I am new and i just got two small PPs and i read the instructions for the basement and made one.. I am submitting a picture.. i can take criticism. thats what im looking for. NOTE: i am still working on the cage like adding plants and shells and climbing materials.

megs
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by megs » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:32 am

Mirandaaa wrote: I'm going to put it Up against the glass in the front of my tank. That way I can see the Hermits in the basement! :D
I used to have a similar cave type place set up against the glass in my big tank, but I took it out last time I deep cleaned. It was always a very popular place to hang out and you can spy on the crabs when they think they're hiding. :D Once my jumbo Tempest comes up, I've been planning to do some remodeling & rebuild the bat cave in a new configuration. 8)
"Nothing divides one so much as thought." - R. H. Blyth

"Sometimes the picture just ain't what it seems. You get what you want, but it's not what you need..."

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:27 am

WOW HERMIE LOVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a great idea!!! You just made my boyfriend and I have a five minute discussion of the many possibilities of crabitat modifications. Something to think about..... WHY should we limit ourselves to the cubic confinements of a rectilinear tank? Just look at all the fun that hamsters have with their winding florescent tube attachments that allow them to reach new heights. The same can be applied to crabitats!!!! :shock:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:26 am

Very nice idea and I think I might use sand paper to smooth the edges on the cut out hole. I was also thinking about the view inside idea too very cool idea.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:26 pm

great idea!!!I was wondering what gave you this idea? :?: :|

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:16 pm

wow great idea! im shutting the computer off and going to build that right now :)

Bubble_hermes

Post by Bubble_hermes » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:51 am

This is cool!!! I just love D.I.Y stuff! In a way I think this would also make them more comfortable because it might better simulate a natural part of their habitat. =)
Owner of three PP's,Hermes, Zephyr, and Shy!
Also the mom of four cats, a dog and several houseplants =)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:53 pm

cranlsn wrote:Neat idea, as an alternative to tape you might trim the edge of the opening with aquarium sealant. :)
Anytime I cut plastic, I just use a lighter to smooth the edges. Just be careful, it only takes a second or two.

I was wondering, if you cut say 3 or 4 holes in the side big enough for crabs , do you think you could use this as a central area for which digging crabs could go to? Would they use the holes as entrances? Grand Central for crabs?